dented oil pan, now no oil pressure, help!!

nycstang37

Nov 18, 2005
Queens, NY
heres my problem guys(n gals) had my car up on the jack today to instal my shifter. when i went to drop the car, as i was lowering it it somehow slipped off the jack and the jack crushed the oil pan slightly. car started fine, but after a few revs started to make a loud ticking/rattling noise as if it wasnt getting oil to the top of the motor. shut her down, then started her back up sounded fine again until i revved it, and no low oil pressure lights or warnings. so i played it safe and called ford roadside. when they came i started it back up to get it out of the driveway for the truck and the low presure warning came on. took it to the dealer and got there no light again. any way what kind of damage can i have caused? im thinking i just dented the pan enough to where its not allowing the sump to pickup oil. or could i have caused some more serious damage? is there anything internal down there that i could have messe dup? its a very small dent. the bottom of the pan may be in about .25-.5 inch. and how much are stock replacement pans for these cars(gt by the way) and or oil sump? and since we are on teh subject, we have a wet sump system correct? anyway sorry for the long post just kinda nervous/annoyed at myself for the stupidity on my part.
thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Rather than speculating you need to drop the oil pan and see what is going on. The least it will cost you is some time and a pan gasket. I wouldn't take a chance of driving it without knowing for sure what the situation down there is.

Good luck!

I had similar symptoms as yours once, I thought my oil pump gave out. As it turned out my oil pump pick up tube had a small crack in it. If you were unlucky enough to dent the pan right where the pickup screen is you my have cracked the tube and be sucking air into you oil system. If that is so it could be a some what easy and cheep to fix. Good luck and let us know what happens.

thanks guys, im thinking its just the oil pick up thats bent or cracked. cars at the dealership as we speak, fixing it for me(know the service advisor) tomorrow though i will know exactly what is wrong