Did I score or strike out on this engine?

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
Antelope Valley, SoCal
A couple hours ago I picked this up:
460-1web.jpg

Yeah, it's a 460. :D

It has a Performer 460 manifold on it, was rebuilt not long before being tossed outside, and has/had at least a gallon of rainwater in it. I started tearing it down and got hopeful when I saw crosshatching and minimal bore corrosion, but that changed when I saw the #8 piston. It looked like it fought with a broken valve at one time and there were some residual dings in the bore. The #8 intake pushrod was also kinda "S" shaped, Same with the #4 exhaust pushrod. I only pulled the driver's side head so far.

Anyway, it's a D1VE block and at least one of the heads is a D3. The other had D_VE on it. :shrug: Only has an .030" overbore(4.390") and I haven't pulled the pan off yet to go poking around inside.

What do you all think? Was it worth $25?

Attachments

• 460-1web.jpg
    460-1web.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Sponsors (?)

I'd say you did just as good as the time I bought a 76 T-bird with a 460, C-6 and a 9" rear for $250. And it was driveable! Which I was going to transplant the engine and tranny into my 67 Fastback. But then sold it for $1000.
"One mans trash is another mans treasure."

I should have put more smilies in my post. :rolleyes:

I was being facetious...I know it was a good price at $25, even if it needs a rebuild. :D Regarding the intake, I planned on Ebaying that thing before I ever saw the engine. ;)

I have a real question, though. What are the best iron heads to get for this engine? The ones that are on it have big ports by normal standards, but they don't look even as big as 4V Cleveland intakes. There isn't much room for porting, either. Maybe I should ask Thumper. I won't forget the shot of his fastback's BB with intake off and tennis balls stuck in the ports. :nice:

Not that I need iron heads on an 750lb engine....

I think my friend has some PI heads that will fit that motor. I think they are suppose to be the super bitchen ultra cool setup for that motor. He just sold his 427 and I'm not sure if he gave the extra heads with the block or not.

I've never heard of PI heads for a 460. I though those were a 4.6 thing.

A 427 is ALOT different than a 429/460 also.

:shrug:

EDIT: Forgot the extra pics. Even more to come tomorrow. I'm tellin you, the gaskets are so fresh that the intake and heads just lifted right off! All the FelPro sealer rings look brand new! This engine has been sitting in the weeds for at least a decade!

460-2web.jpg

blocknumber.jpg

460-3web.jpg

460-4web.jpg

Attachments

• 460-2web.jpg
    460-2web.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 43
  • blocknumber.jpg
    blocknumber.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 460-3web.jpg
    460-3web.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 460-4web.jpg
    460-4web.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 39
The 429/460 PI head is a combination for the std head and the CJ head. It had the smaller ports on the intake side (don't recall about the exhaust) and the larger CJ sized valves. Ford figured out the CJ ports were "too big" And this combo made more power. You can accomplish the same thing using the early 68-70 std heads and installing the larger valves along with the bowl work to match.

That is deff. a good find for $25!! Alot of potential out of the motor, they're just heavy!! I've got a 351C sitting in my weeds in Northern VA too. Buttttt the heads have been off of it for sometime. Shoot.. $25 and it could be someones too.

The 429/460 PI head is a combination for the std head and the CJ head. It had the smaller ports on the intake side (don't recall about the exhaust) and the larger CJ sized valves. Ford figured out the CJ ports were "too big" And this combo made more power. You can accomplish the same thing using the early 68-70 std heads and installing the larger valves along with the bowl work to match.

So do the CJs actually flow too much, or just flow a alot? I have a hard time imagining a 460 with a mushy low-end.

I found a 351C; block crank v4 heads, stock intake, stock exhaust, air cleaner on Ebay for $50 last fall. I basically got it for a song, a little more than you paid for the 460. But I only really wanted the block and crank, so I sold everything else and turned a nice little profit that will help with the build.

I found a 351C; block crank v4 heads, stock intake, stock exhaust, air cleaner on Ebay for $50 last fall. I basically got it for a song, a little more than you paid for the 460. But I only really wanted the block and crank, so I sold everything else and turned a nice little profit that will help with the build.

Dang, were they closed chamber? I'd have jumped on that deal too!

I'm just recalling what was written about them in "Ford Performance" According to Ford, the CJ's "Sewer pipe" sized ports flowed too much on a 429, I'd imagine with more cubes drawing thru them, they'd work better.

Alright, good to know. I haven't decided what to do with this engine anyway. Bracket racer, torque monster truck application, turbo BB in the Mustang....all up in the air. ;)

One of the cylinders is really nasty from having water in it. I'll probably pull the rods and pistons this weekend. It'll need another overbore which will take it out to .060 over. What's the maximum these blocks can take safely without needing to worry about sonic checking?