• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Did some racing

  • Thread starter Thread starter maverick0011
  • Start date Start date Jul 6, 2005
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
M

maverick0011

New Member
Jun 26, 2005
26
0
0
Jul 6, 2005
#1
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #1
Hey guys did some racing the other night! I have a very big problem, i miss 3rd gear everytime. I raced 4 times and missed 3rd 3 out of 4. The thing is i won 3 out of 4 lmao! I raced and 89 gt with 4.10 gears and smoked his ass, then i raced a 02 gt and i left the damn traction control on and i missed 3rd. Would have been a good race untill that happened. That 02 stang beat a 02 one of my buddys 02 trans am. He thinks it had to have nos to beat him lol. Any advice on how not to miss 3rd haha?
 

hotrodnut

Member
Jul 12, 2004
672
0
17
North Florida
Jul 6, 2005
#2
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #2
If you don't have an aftermarket shifter, blame it on that!
 

ProCharger GT

Member
Jun 3, 2004
153
0
16
Cleveland
Jul 6, 2005
#3
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #3
3 words:

Pro 5.0/Steeda/B&M
 

96WhiteNight

New Member
May 11, 2004
303
0
0
Carlisle, PA
Jul 6, 2005
#4
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #4
I like Steeda
 
0

02 Mineral Gray

New Member
Apr 1, 2005
100
0
0
Atlantic City, NJ
Jul 6, 2005
#5
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #5
96WhiteNight said:
I like Steeda
Click to expand...

Me too...
 
T

tjm73

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2000
2,418
2
48
Rush, NY
Jul 6, 2005
#6
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #6
I have Steeda in one car, UPR Products in the other. Both great. THe steeda is a little more 'notchy'. The UPR is smooth as glass most of the time. At the track I trust the Steeda more. No questions about what's happenign in your hand. After I put the Steeda in my '90 GT, I never miss 3rd gear.

The UPR is perfect for everyday use where the 'notchy' feel get's old after awhile.
 

AirWolf87

New Member
Mar 14, 2004
382
0
0
L I, NY
Jul 6, 2005
#7
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #7
I love the notchy feel of my steeda. oh and that sound it makes when you slam it into gear.......love it!
 

csledd

Official Ovary Punching Member
Founding Member
Aug 18, 2001
1,115
1
0
Paducah, KY
Jul 6, 2005
#8
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #8
I have my Steeda Tri-Ax and love it, and I also have a problem with missing 3rd gear, everyone who's seen me on the track knows about it and refers to it as the "elusive 3rd gear" lol. anyways.. I know what my problem with it is.. I try to go over too far to the right, I guess my brain/hand just can't fathom that 3rd gear is a lot closer than it seems, just gonna take some practice to get it out of my system
 

QU!CK

New Member
Apr 27, 2004
146
0
0
Charlotte, NC
Jul 6, 2005
#9
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #9
*obligatoary MGW reccomendation*


Almost any aftmarket shifter will cure your problem as mentioned above.


MGW/Steeda (driven cars with both, personal fav's)

Pro 5.0/B&M (heard good things about them but never driven with them)


-J
 

tomustang

Psychotic Member
Founding Member
Jun 8, 2000
3,434
2
78
McLean Hospital
Jul 6, 2005
#10
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #10
Buy an Automatic.
 
0

02mingreyconv

New Member
Sep 27, 2003
127
0
0
Bartlett, IL
Jul 6, 2005
#11
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #11
tomustang said:
Buy an Automatic.
Click to expand...
 

BABstangV6

Smater than the average bear!
Apr 3, 2003
595
0
0
Rock Hill, SC
Jul 6, 2005
#12
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #12
96WhiteNight said:
I like Steeda
Click to expand...

 
F

FalconGuy016

New Member
Oct 26, 2004
437
1
0
Northern VA
Jul 6, 2005
#13
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #13
OMG MGW are we insane? MGW!!
 
T

tjm73

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2000
2,418
2
48
Rush, NY
Jul 6, 2005
#14
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #14
christiesledd said:
I have my Steeda Tri-Ax and love it, and I also have a problem with missing 3rd gear, everyone who's seen me on the track knows about it and refers to it as the "elusive 3rd gear" lol. anyways.. I know what my problem with it is.. I try to go over too far to the right, I guess my brain/hand just can't fathom that 3rd gear is a lot closer than it seems, just gonna take some practice to get it out of my system
Click to expand...

Next time you are at the track try this.....

- Shift 1st to 2nd with your palm on the top/right side of the shift knob.

- Once in 2nd gear slide your hand over so your palm is now on the top/left side of the knob. Get ready to shift in to 3rd.

- Hit the clutch like you normally do and just push the shifter up/forward toward 3rd. When done right, this arm extension actually pushes the shifter right at 3rd.

- Slide your hand back over to the top/right and pull 4th when you are ready for it.

Try it. You'll be amazed. I couldn't believe it when I tried. It's an old trick I got from my brother who got it from an old time racer I think.
 
M

maverick0011

New Member
Jun 26, 2005
26
0
0
Jul 6, 2005
#15
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #15
i have an b&m shifter, i think that i go to far right when i shift too. My buddy told me that little trick about your hand placement, but i never remember to do it, i'll try it next time for sure. Hell ive only raced the car 6 times total. Oh yea i got my new intake plenum in a sec ago, gonna put it on as soon as i get my pulleys in. Oh yea whoever said buy an automatic, forget that crap!
 

ProCharger GT

Member
Jun 3, 2004
153
0
16
Cleveland
Jul 6, 2005
#16
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #16
maverick0011 said:
Oh yea whoever said buy an automatic, forget that crap!
Click to expand...
your kidding..right?
 
T

tjm73

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2000
2,418
2
48
Rush, NY
Jul 6, 2005
#17
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #17
A properly setup auto will shift faster, harder and more consistently than 99% of anyone that runs a stick.
 

dsg_gt2004

New Member
Mar 23, 2004
423
0
0
Georgetown,SC
Jul 6, 2005
#18
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #18
maverick0011 said:
Hey guys did some racing the other night! I have a very big problem, i miss 3rd gear everytime. I raced 4 times and missed 3rd 3 out of 4. The thing is i won 3 out of 4 lmao! I raced and 89 gt with 4.10 gears and smoked his ass, then i raced a 02 gt and i left the damn traction control on and i missed 3rd. Would have been a good race untill that happened. That 02 stang beat a 02 one of my buddys 02 trans am. He thinks it had to have nos to beat him lol. Any advice on how not to miss 3rd haha?
Click to expand...
i want to say it may be bad syncrhos
 

1fast03pony

Member
Jul 1, 2003
749
0
17
New york
Jul 6, 2005
#19
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #19
in a drag race, a stick is really not much of an advantage. its really an edge when youre racing around curves, when you need the engine to be revving high for the exits.
 
M

mussang

Founding Member
Sep 13, 2001
52
0
0
ohio
Jul 7, 2005
#20
  • Jul 7, 2005
  • #20
There is a loss of fun-factor with an auto even though they are more consistent. If it is a drag -only car and you gotta win, maybe an auto is best for you. But if , like most, you drive the car every day a manual wins overal( for that fun factor). If you want an auto for a daily driver why not just borrow your moms wagon or get your grannys Buick?
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Lack of power on acceleration
  • jameshernandez
  • Aug 30, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
151
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 6, 2026
jameshernandez
J
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
212
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
C
Electrical Fuel Gauge...Help! What did I do or Didn't Do?
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • Sep 3, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
165
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 3, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
P
2000 GT Random Power Loss
  • Pinellas50
  • Mar 9, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
366
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 23, 2026
Pinellas50
P
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?