Difference between E6SE and E7TE Blocks?

Realmongo

I prefer to be called "Evil Genius"
Founding Member
Oct 10, 2001
Western Mass
Can someone tell me what the difference is between the E6SE and E7TE roller blocks? I have personally seen E6SE blocks in cars and E7TE blocks in both cars and trucks as original equipment.

• Sponsors (?)

Realmongo...I think the E6SE blocks were used in 86 correct? I believe they had flat top pistons but I could be wrong. And I think those heads were only used for that one year...

Realmongo...I think the E6SE blocks were used in 86 correct? I believe they had flat top pistons but I could be wrong. And I think those heads were only used for that one year...

The Mustang 5.0 Book through Ford Racing lists the E6SE block being used in 1986 - 1993 5.0 engines, but I have not been able to find any reference to the E7TE Block in the book, but I have that E7TE block in my GT.

Are you sure it didn't say it was just available...as in available to purchase? From what I know the E7TE were on production vehicles starting with model year 1987.

Well to get back on track, there has to be some difference between the two castings to give each a unique identity. It could be some cast in provision but I have not neen able to get it nailed down.

there isn't a change that I'm aware of. the last revision done to the h.o. motor was in 1986. In 1986 they changed the casting for a stiffer block with thicker decks. cylinder walls and semi-siamesed water jackets. The #s E7TE are just an engineering # or casting # and there is a plate with other #s for build date. In late '87 for '88 all truck 5.0.s where given the tall boss block( roller block) and still came with a flat tappet cam unti around late '91. The truck divsion ( the TE) did the E7 changes for '87 and the heads also start with E7, changes in the casting # could have been due to the head change and the division change.

example..

staring casting #s
1985 block casting E5AE : Head casting E5AE

1986 block( and can be later ) E6SE: head E6AE

1987 block E7TE : head casting E7TE

Aware of all those changes, etc. I am just curious as to what the difference between the blocks is. Since they built and used them alongside each other, there is some difference in the casting or Ford would not have changed the casting number.

you are reading to much into the casting #. The E6SE number is really only the very 1st part of the whole number for a part. It can be for a block, head, intake, etc.

E= Decade so this would be '80s

5 ,6 or 7 = year or 5th, 6th/7th year of the decade

A, S or T = Model A being Generic full size ford, S being thunderbird and T for truck

E= Engineered component so the "E" would be engine group
example would be "C" would be body & electrical, "H" would be climate control.

The Engineered component number is the 4th digit in the part number and always an alpha letter. It identifies which Ford engineering group designed the part and to which major component group the part belongs to. It does not indicate a revision or engineering change.

Ford would design a part for specific body line like the thunderbird, trucks, etc but most parts are not limited to that line. The block changes over the years are well documented, I'm very comfortable stating that the block is the same.

Let's get back to the original question, I only want to know what Ford actually changed between the blocks to warrant a new casting number.

sorry for the round and round. Hope you find your answer . the simple is it could be a new hole added for a bracket, knock sensor, etc. the casting change could be very, very small just like for the F1SE. but for thickness, deck heights or major changes over '86. no I still stand that they are the same. nothing I have found after E6 states other wise (block)..E7 & F1 are the same internal. get a couple of blocks and start looking for the external changes I guess. best of luck other wise.

:flag: