difference btwn longtubes and o/r midpipe

VPStang

Founding Member
Oct 1, 2002
bHAM, alabama
whats the difference in gain between getting longtube headers and just getting an offroad midpipe....on a N/A motor?

From what i've read on this forum, it's not worth getting headers on a n/a motor unless you get longtubes-and u will see a significant difference. This leads me to believe that the manifold itself is doing nothing...just the absence of the cats....
So it would save a bunch of hassle and money to just get an offroad pipe instead of getting longtubes installed.....

Someone please provide some tech on this.....

thanks....

• Sponsors (?)

by the way in case no one knew...

JonJon is the jedi master of 4.6L mod motors....it was unanimously decided in the talk section

congrats jojon :D :nice: :banana:
just messin around....maybe someone will actually pay attention to this thread if we keep posting

Roger_4.6_96 said:
:banana:

Longtubes flow more air = better hp. When you get a supercharger you will see big gains they advertise.

right--but you don't need blower to see gains with long tubes....with shorties it's a waste on n/a motor (this is from what i've read several times on this forum) . Re read the original post and what i'm trying to ask...it's actually a pretty good technical question--or so I think.....could save a lot pf people here some money and headache...

VPStang said:
right--but you don't need blower to see gains with long tubes....with shorties it's a waste on n/a motor (this is from what i've read several times on this forum) . Re read the original post and what i'm trying to ask...it's actually a pretty good technical question--or so I think.....could save a lot pf people here some money and headache...

People at modular powerhouse claim that jba is good header and is up there with performance along side long tubes.

you will see gains with shorties dont let anyone tell you that you wont, but lt's just flow better, the reason people say its a waste of time is b/c the install is just as much of a pita for the shorties, the gains are smaller, and good ones cost almost as much as the lt's

you are not going to see as big of gains with just an off road h or x as u would with long tubes, and off-h or x long tubes are worth the hasstle, just get ones that let you take out the clutch with out removal of the long tubes. like hookers

spikeGT_99 said:
you will see gains with shorties dont let anyone tell you that you wont, but lt's just flow better, the reason people say its a waste of time is b/c the install is just as much of a pita for the shorties, the gains are smaller, and good ones cost almost as much as the lt's
Exactly! For all the trouble of the install, I wouldn't bother with shorties, in addition to knowing the larger gains are really close by (LTs).

basically with a mid pipe you are looking at MAYBE 5 - 8 HP..its mostly for sound and air flow...

However if you install LT's and a mid pipe you are looking at roughly 25hp AT THE WHEELS

LT's are worth it, especailly if you plan to supercharge the car at some point...if youplan to turbo then LT's won't do you much good down the line