Does a stock 1999 Mustang GT have a rev limiter?

• Sponsors (?)

All factory tunes will have a rev limiter.

Keep in mind that the rev limiter only works against overzealous use of the throttle pedal. If you mess up really bad and shift from 5th to 2nd (for example) at high speed and overspin the engine from the roadwheels, the rev limiter won't help save your motor...

Most 2v rev limiters are set at the factory to a specific RPM - box code GTG3 for example is 6050 RPM - and that would be typical for a 2v. There is also a speed limiter - on some models it is pretty low, but in a 2v, it's like 180 MPH - something 99.9999% of cars are not capable of hitting.

FYI - The factory rev limiter cuts fuel, not ignition. And NO it's not dangerous because it cuts so much fuel that there is not enough potential energy to do much damage.

Everything Dan said is correct. The rev limit is a fuel cut and it won't hurt your engine (unless you are spraying a wet shot without a window switch and overrev it).

My 97 GT has 2 rev limiters in the code turned on. One is at 5700 and it seems to be an ingear limiter. The other is 6050 and it seems to be a neutral limiter. Your 99 GT probably has a rev limiter around 6050.

Everything Dan said is correct. The rev limit is a fuel cut and it won't hurt your engine (unless you are spraying a wet shot without a window switch and overrev it).

Been there once, not something I want to do again. I was nervous about the particular race, launched in first with the arming switch on (no window switch), mashed it way before 3k, found the limiter real quick but nothing cut out or backfired... realized what happened and shut it down right quick.