Brakes Does anyone know specific casting numbers on 1989 GT O.E. Calipers?

MrBottleneck

Sep 12, 2018
Ohio
I was told brake calipers casting numbers 355L & 356R where on the 1990-1993 models and the 406 casting number and subsequent other side number etc where on earlier like 1987-1989 models.
These are stamped on outside of piston cup area of calipers.
Can anyone verify for me what castings for sure for what years specifically the 1989 (must be from unmolested original car)?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I think the problem you will run into is finding someone who has a car still wearing the original brake calipers, and knows they are the original calipers. Most reference materials list the 87-93 calipers are completely interchangible, so any replacements at some point in the lift of the car would get a caliper from anywhere in that year span.

You need to find someone with a low-mileage, 100% original car that can guarantee they are the correct calipers. Not sure how many of those cars are on this site.

Doing a concours correct resto?

No, actually my 1989 car is all original with 40232 miles. I’m doing research to see when the cutoff dates where on casting numbers looks like the castings starting in 4 was 87-91 and the castings starting in 3 where 92-93.
Just looking for another person with an all original to verify.

Funny how things go, I knew I needed to check the pads on the front for wear and your post reminded me of that, it's jacked up in the shop while I work on many other things on it so when I looked for the numbers I noticed the outside pad was worn past 50% but the inside pad looks more like less than 25% so I may have an issue I need to address, thanks for needing info.

Check to make the caliper slides are not frozen up. Sounds like that might be the issue.
I KNOW! Looking at all the surface rust on them things you would think I live in the snow belt and drive it year round!
I can't see how those things can work properly. Didn't they have some rubber boots on those pins?

No, actually my 1989 car is all original with 40232 miles. I’m doing research to see when the cutoff dates where on casting numbers looks like the castings starting in 4 was 87-91 and the castings starting in 3 where 92-93.
Just looking for another person with an all original to verify.

Can help you in a few months - upgrading my setup last week of May (with any luck) and I'm very certain mine's all original.

My 89LX was built Jan 16 '89