Does my mustang havea 2V or 4V 4.6 in it?

• Sponsors (?)

Like I said, I'm a n00b to Mustangs, and I've seen a lot of talk about 2Vs and 4Vs. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.

your heads look like this (minus porting, lol):
View attachment 345201

cobra heads look like this (minus extra large valves):
ford4vv8.jpg

Attachments

• ford4vv8.jpg
    ford4vv8.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 5,242
The 1999-2004 GTs are your body style. They have a 281 (cubic inch) engine which translates to a 4.6L engine, 2V (valve) V8 SOHC (single overhead cam) meaning 1 cam over each head, giving it 2 valves per cylinder. 1 intake valve 1 exhaust vavlve . Making 260 HP (engine) which is about 235rwhp stock.

Off topic, but for reference:
The 1999, 2001 SVT COBRA is also a 4.6L but its a DOHC 4Valve motor(dual overhead cam) having 2 cams over each head allowing for 2 intake valves and 2 exhaust valves per cylinder. hence referred to as the 4.6L 4v engine. More air, making more power. The 1999 and 2001 Cobra make 320hp stock, which is about 280rwhp. There was no 2000 Cobra, only the 300 produced Cobra R's. And the only 2002 Cobra were 100 produced which were sent to Australia.

THE PICS ABOVE YOU CAN SEE THE CIRCULAR VALVES ( 2 in the top and 4 in the bottom pic) PER CYLINDER

...now, the 2005+ GT (the new body style) is ALSO a 4.6L but has a somewhat unique design. Its a 3V. Because its a SOHC like your car, but has 2 intake valves and 1 exhaust valve. And thats why they make 300 hp intead of your 260. (along with different tuning im sure too)

2 valve- refers to your cylinder head. You have 2 valves on your heads, one for the intake, one for exhaust. As stated, your car is a 2v. 2v mustangs, unlike pushrod motors as the 5.0 and ls1's, have 2 cams, one on each head. thats why they are called overhead cam motors. Pushrod motors have one cam, that runs the valvetrain for both heads. 4v motors, are also overhead cam motors, but have 4 valves per head, and 4 cams, 2 on each head. Slightly more complex.

Saleens are 2v's right? (for our model)

yes, all of them to my knowlege

Thanks, SVT. I am aware of the main concept of DOHC/SOHC and valves and such, but was just wondering what I had. Do people often swap Cobra H/C into regular GTs?
it's not a simple swap by any means, you'd need the intake manifold among other things, lol. Cheaper to sell your car and buy a 99/01 cobra me thinks

The 1999, 2001 SVT COBRA is also a 4.6L but its a DOHC 4Valve motor

Don't forget about the 96-98 Cobra, they were also DOHC but using the B-style splitport heads (redheaded step-child Cobra :)). In 99 when the GT got the PI heads the Cobra switched to the C-style tumbleport heads.

Saleens are 2v's right? (for our model)

Saleens aren't a model of Mustang like the GT, Cobra or Mach 1, they're more of a "tuner" for the mustang. But as far as I know most/all of them were built on the GT platform.

Don't forget about the 96-98 Cobra, they were also DOHC but using the B-style splitport heads (redheaded step-child Cobra :)). In 99 when the GT got the PI heads the Cobra switched to the C-style tumbleport heads.

Saleens aren't a model of Mustang like the GT, Cobra or Mach 1, they're more of a "tuner" for the mustang. But as far as I know most/all of them were built on the GT platform.

Tuner car or not, it's still a mustang:D