Door enclosure depth?

I have replaced the head unit with the new Pioneer double din nav unit which is currently wired to the stock amp. When I go to an aftermarket amp, I guess that will be the time I upgrade the speakers. I have read the trend is that people are putting small subs up in the front listening field with great results. The bass sounds better and hits harder than having subs just in the trunk. has anyone else heard this! I hope more companys produce good quality replacement for the doors.
CPman

• Sponsors (?)

For proper sound quality, you'd want ALL sound radiating from a single point. This is simply impossible with a real speaker, but you get my drift. People place subs in the trunk because they fit. For real music, I prefer up front bass. I've built enclosures inside center consoles that sounded amazing. One guy I know placed a 10 where the glovebox was in his car (no airbag on this one- unless you count his wife ;) ) and it was stunning- and looked stock. Think about it. You're watching Metallica- does Rob Trujillo play from behind you while the rest of the band plays from the front?