Double DIN unit in a fox body?

I got a Shaker 1000 head unit from a 2008 Mustang for pretty cheap to see if it'll go in my 1990 LX. I'm able to slide it about half way in until it rubs on the carpet under the radio location and won't go any more.

Are there any install kits that make this easy and hopefully without hacking up the dash? I see Metra makes a double DIN kit for the fox, but I don't see how this addresses the bottom clearance. Any advice?

• Sponsors (?)

That kit is not going to work. It is made for aftermarket dbl din radios; the Ford radio mounts differently. Another thing, that radio uses external amplifiers for the Shaker 1000, do you have THOSE and the matching harnesses for everything?

Advice? Resell it on ebay for the going rate to fund an aftermarket stereo. You'd be surprised at how much the dealer charges for just that component and what people will still pay for it in working order.

So far as I can tell, the Shaker 1000 head unit only relies on an external amp for the subwoofer. Interior speakers should connect right up using both wire harness and reverse harness adapters, which I have on order at the moment.

I'll follow up with fitment when all the parts come in.

I decided to forego mounting this head unit. Everything seems to fit with exception to clearance at the bottom where it contacts the transmission tunnel and the dash bracket behind it. The faceplate fits perfectly. The rear support bracket transfers right over. The local car audio shop had no problem locating a matching harness and antenna plug adapter to the Shaker unit. So, I could go the route of modifying the tunnel and the bracket, but it's not worth it.

It looks to me that an aftermarket double DIN unit would be slightly smaller and not fit so tightly. The real reason I wanted this Shaker head unit was to buy the Ford Sync add-on so I have stock appearance and modern functionality. But it looks easier to get a new Pioneer or similar that has basically all the same stuff.