double trouble: 94GT & Cobra

94snakebite

Apr 28, 2006
I just bought a 94 cobra and I need help. When I am driving the car and am coming to a stop/slowdown as soon as the clutch is pushed in the RPM drops real fast and the car dies. If I have the clutch in and the gas pedal slightly pushed in for some extra juice this doesn't happen. It obviously must be some type of Idle control or throttle body problem. Please help if you can....I also have the same problem in my 94 GT only it seems to happen after I am moving slowly in reverse? Both cars appear to have the same problem only my cobra is much more dramatic....any help much appreciated. Both cars do idle a little rough also.
:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

It is probably that the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) is sticking closed. Carbon from the EGR gets in there and clogs things up.

Mine was sticking open and the RPMs would go up when I put the clutch in and it would idle too high. I cleaned it and it was OK for about 2 weeks, but then it started randomly sticking either open or closed, so sometimes it would want to die and others it would rev too much. Talk about annoying.

A new one solved it. It cost about $40 and it took about 10 minutes to R&R it.

idle

94-302-vert said:
Try cleaning out the IAC on the throttle body.

When the cars are idling, what do they idle at? Is it extremely low?

No, the cars idle at the correct RPM, however it does fluctuate to the lower side once in a while while the car is at idle.

94snakebite said:
No, the cars idle at the correct RPM, however it does fluctuate to the lower side once in a while while the car is at idle.

The IAC is supposed to control the idle when your foot is off the gas pedal. Give it a chance, clean out the IAC motor anyway. It can stick once in a while.

when was the last time it had a tune up? new plugs, wires, filter all that stuff.

clean the IAC and the Mass air with some alcoholic based cleaner. just be careful

Agreed with about all the ideas (one has me wondering :p ) on here. The IAC is the place to start. When you are rolling and have your foot off the gas, the puter gets input from the VSS that the car is moving and it should hold the idle at 1000-1500 RPM to prevent stalling. Yours isnt doing this.

But a dirty IAC and some tune-up items in need of renewing or cleaning certainly wont help the issue.

Good luck.

I experienced something similar, anytime I stopped at a light or whereever, I would have to depress the clutch, my idle would drop and stall. It turned out to be my o2 sensors needed replacing. Good luck.

Clean IAC, Clean MAF, check for proper TPS operation, as a last resort have O2 sensors checked or replace them if you know they have over 50,000 on them. Your dizzy should be fine, a bad PIP or module the car will die with your foot on the gas.