Electrical Driver Power Window Doesn’t Work

THEBOOMERJP

Feb 12, 2021
Tampa FL
Hi all, I just purchased a 1987 LX T-Top 5.0. Bought the car as my introduction to classics. When I bought it, both power windows worked, when I got home, the passenger side went up and down with no problem. The driver side however, does not go up anymore. When pressing the down button, I can hear the motor working, but when hitting up, nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just replaced the driver window motor as well and still does not work.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi all, I just purchased a 1987 LX T-Top 5.0. Bought the car as my introduction to classics. When I bought it, both power windows worked, when I got home, the passenger side went up and down with no problem. The driver side however, does not go up anymore. When pressing the down button, I can hear the motor working, but when hitting up, nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just replaced the driver window motor as well and still does not work.
What you should have done was tested for power at the window motor first.. Have you tried operating the window from both drivers and passenger switches?

Pull the door panel off and check power at the motor. These window motors have little cylinder pucks inside of them and can be replaced. Usually it's just these things getting brittle and coming apart clogging things. Most parts stores used to carry the window motor bushings kit in stock in the help section. The last time I bought them they did not show up for a mustang but they do fit and work. I've used them in many mustangs over the last 20yrs. The window motor has to be removed and the cover and internal gear removed to replace. Grease will also be needed.

Power Window tips & tricks

Motor removal & replacement

Remove the door mounted speaker & the upholstery panel to gain access to the motor. There are 3 screws (5/16" hex head, I think) that secure the motor in place. Remove them and the motor comes out without any problems. Once you remove all the screws from the motor, and it falls away from the gear teeth on the arm for the glass, the glass will move up and down. You may need a helper to hold the glass once the motor screws are out, since the gear on the motor holds the glass from sliding up or down

Motor interchange
The motor is the same for left side or right side, only the gearboxes are different. If you can't find the complete assembly for the side you want, you can get either side and use the old gearbox on the new motor.

The window motor gearbox has 3 plastic rollers that are a safety clutch to prevent possible injury if the window is rolled up while something or someone is hanging out the window. The plastic rollers will often disintegrate into chunks of plastic and the window will no longer roll up or down. The motor runs, but the window does not move or only move a little.
rnb-74410.jpg

The Help! section of your local auto parts store will have the replacement plastic rollers.
See NAPA Window Regulator Gear Plug

235297.jpg

Napa p/n Balkamp 6651524

Cost is 9.49$

AutoZone and other auto parts stores see Dorman 74410 / Window Lift Motor Gear Kit
Cost is $7.99

Power Window Wiring Diagrams

Diagrams courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

Fuse panel and circuit breaker layout
MustangFuseBox.gif

87-92 model cars power window wiring:

mustang87-92%20PowerWindowWiring.gif

93 model cars power window wiring:
mustang93PowerWindows.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info Everyone should bookmark

Reactions: 1 user
I have an issue on my car where the window will get "stuck" in the down position, completely bottomed out. I have to take the door panel off an manually move it out of that position and then the motor will work again. It's almost as if the motor developes a dead spot when all the way down. I'm sure there's a better explanation for this. :) Until I can replace the motors (they both do it) I just avoid putting the windows all the way down.

I have an issue on my car where the window will get "stuck" in the down position, completely bottomed out. I have to take the door panel off an manually move it out of that position and then the motor will work again. It's almost as if the motor developes a dead spot when all the way down. I'm sure there's a better explanation for this. :) Until I can replace the motors (they both do it) I just avoid putting the windows all the way down.
Exactly what it is, a flat spot on the armature

Reactions: 1 user