Duraspark compatibility

I am building a 450 horse (so says DSS) 331 engine and am planning the ignition system. I've read the Duraspark is the way to go for most builds. Is a Duraspark appropriate for the kind of HP I'll be making?

If a Duraspark is appropriate, is specifying a '85 GT carbed 5.0 distributor at NAPA going to get me what I need? (Steel gear because I am using a roller cam)

Thanks for the guidance guys, my eyes are crossed from searching so much on the word "Duraspark"...

• Sponsors (?)

I am building a 450 horse (so says DSS) 331 engine and am planning the ignition system. I've read the Duraspark is the way to go for most builds. Is a Duraspark appropriate for the kind of HP I'll be making?

If a Duraspark is appropriate, is specifying a '85 GT carbed 5.0 distributor at NAPA going to get me what I need? (Steel gear because I am using a roller cam)

Thanks for the guidance guys, my eyes are crossed from searching so much on the word "Duraspark"...

yes that will work fine as long you aren't turning more than about 6000-6500 rpm. if you turn it higher than that you'll wan't to upgrade the dizzy with a one piece full length bushing instead of the factory bushing in the middle of the dizzy

I don't think the 5.0s used a Duraspark.
I believe they use an early version of TFI.

Duraspark petered out in the very early 80s.

Just get a DS distributor and swap the gear for the one you need.

the distributor you want is the duraspark from the 85gt with the T5 trans. if you just specify 85gt you might end up with the tfi dist for the cfi injection instead. ratio, 1985 was the last year for the duraspark in the V8 mustang sinc ein 1986 ford switched to efi for all the V8 stangs.

the distributor you want is the duraspark from the 85gt with the T5 trans. if you just specify 85gt you might end up with the tfi dist for the cfi injection instead. ratio, 1985 was the last year for the duraspark in the V8 mustang sinc ein 1986 ford switched to efi for all the V8 stangs.

Thank you sir for clarifying that!:hail2:
I knew that if they were used on a roller engine, it was very limited use.
I was thinking 84 was last year.
Learn something every day.
Now I know where to source a steel gear DS.

Looking at NAPA online, looks like there are two options, with or without "module..."

Without module looks like this

82397.jpg

WITH module looks like this

82394.jpg

I plan on running a 6AL box, so would I go with the "without module" version? I hope so, it is much cheaper...

THANKS FOR THE HELP!:hail2:

Links:
With module (no vacuum advance?): http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...on=Distributor+(Electronic+w/+Module)+-+Remfd
Without module (with vacuum advance?): http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...n=Distributor+(Electronic+w/o+Module)+-+Remfd

Attachments

• 82397.jpg
    82397.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 82394.jpg
    82394.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 76
Looking at NAPA online, looks like there are two options, with or without "module..."

Without module looks like this

82397.jpg

WITH module looks like this

82394.jpg

I plan on running a 6AL box, so would I go with the "without module" version? I hope so, it is much cheaper...

THANKS FOR THE HELP!:hail2:

Links:
With module (no vacuum advance?): http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...on=Distributor+(Electronic+w/+Module)+-+Remfd
Without module (with vacuum advance?): http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...n=Distributor+(Electronic+w/o+Module)+-+Remfd

yes without module. the one with the module is the TFI unit for the EFI, or in this case the CFI car.

Attachments

• 82397.jpg
    82397.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 82394.jpg
    82394.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 75
just be sure to check the dist gear. if it has a cast finish(a bumpy surface much like the as cast finish on an intake manifold) then tell them to get the right distributor. the gear should have a machined finish to it. if you cant get the dist with the right gear, pop over to the local ford motorsport dealer and get the right steel gear from them. you will have to drill a new retaining pin hole for the dist though. comp cams also has the right gear available.

another easy upgrade is to use the tfi coil with the duraspark dizzzy. i used the msd blaster (45.00 from summit) it will boost the spark a good bit. just go to the boneyard, and get the bracket, and harness plug from whichever car suits your mounting location. also peel the harness back far enough to get the wire for your tach lead(it will have a factory splice about 12" back from the terminal)

another easy upgrade is to use the tfi coil with the duraspark dizzzy. i used the msd blaster (45.00 from summit) it will boost the spark a good bit. just go to the boneyard, and get the bracket, and harness plug from whichever car suits your mounting location. also peel the harness back far enough to get the wire for your tach lead(it will have a factory splice about 12" back from the terminal)

since you emntioned this, i was wondering if it's possible to use a TFI dizzy with a standard coil? i plan on installing a Holley Pro-Jection system on the cougar at some point and want to use the ignition control feature which requires a TFI dizzy but don't would rather use a regular cansiter style coil for the original look, i'll be using a small cap TFI dizzy too, BTW, so it it will look stock at first glance, the big honking TFI coil mounted in the engine compartment will spoil that look. anyone know?