Early narrow bolt pattern tranny to 302?

roscioli

Aug 25, 2004
Hello- Does anybody know of a bellhousing out there that will bolt a 1980 302 up to the earlier style trannies, from when the 289's used a 5 bolt bellhousing? Thanks! Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Don't believe you'll find one like that, however you can bolt the later Toploaders to the older bellhousings. Better off selling that Toploader and buying a later one. The early ones like that have 25 spline output shafts.

two problems with that, the trans bolt pattern isnt the same and the register on the input shaft retainer is smaller. A later stlye retainer can be swapped on the t-10 and toploaders and then you can use a scatter sheild which has both bolt patterns. You can also try and modify a cast iron bellhousing by drilling and tapping the correct bolt pattern but still need the correct retainer.

It is a T-10. I was considering modifying a popular bellhousing with drilling, etc.. but the bolt pattern is SO different that I would be drilling into air on the newer style bellhousings. I am running around the state to a few hardcore ford guys and junkyards today, so I will see what I come up with.. I might end up just going to a 5 speed or even an AOD or C4 if it ends up being easier than searching out this ghost part. Thanks for your help! I will let you know! Mike