EGR valve question ???

MY 85 GT

10 Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Jersey
My 87 GT convertible..has the EGR valve disconnected..no vac hooked up to it all my emissions stuff is deleted...I have this problem where the car pops n the intake and bogs sometimes...I went to test the egr i pressed in and out the car idled rough but didnt stall,im wondering is the egr valve stuck,and causing this problem..do they make an EGR valve block off so i can elimate the egr valve totally?..or buy a new one and let it just ride there so it doesnt have an air leaks anymore??? any ideas would be great thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

Run the codes and see what comes. Guarantee there are a few egr ralated codes.

Have you removed the egr and cleaned it to makes sure it seats fully?

If you want to delete the egr correctly, either pull the lower intake off and block the egr port there, or pull the lower off and block it at the heads.

Run the codes and see what comes. Guarantee there are a few egr ralated codes.

Have you removed the egr and cleaned it to makes sure it seats fully?

If you want to delete the egr correctly, either pull the lower intake off and block the egr port there, or pull the lower off and block it at the heads.

I ran the CODES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT DOESNT TELL ME WHY MY CAR IS POPPING AND BANGING IN THE INTAKE..I ran the CBT and it was fine flashed 9 codes were 34-42-81. the EGR vavle isnt hooked up its there for the ride...EVEVRYTHING is disconnected..the heads are plugged...i think the EGR vale is leaking air into the intake not seating thats wht i thought maybe a block off spacer? or buy a new EGR and install it and let it go for the ride at least that one will seal no?the car is an 87 probbaly the orignal EGR so im sure its no good...

I ran the CODES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT DOESNT TELL ME WHY MY CAR IS POPPING AND BANGING IN THE INTAKE.
Sure it does. Sometimes it helps to post this sort of info...even if you don't think it's useful.

I ran the CBT and it was fine flashed 9
codes were 34-42-81
This says a lot actually.

Code 34, is the classic EGR failure code. However, if the EGR was truely stuck open, you usually see a code 41 and 91 as the inert gas passing through makes the car run slightly lean. I see no code 41 or 91, so I don't think your EGR is the issue at all.
However, they do make a block off plate for it
UPR EGR BLOCK OFF PLATE 1987-1993 - CJ Pony Parts, Inc.

So what's your source of the problem? Well, the code 42 is worth looking into. It's an 02 sensor related code - RH sensor reading rich. Running rich would definitely be a source of your issues. However, the question is, is the sensor running rich because the sensor is faulty, or is it a result of another condition such as a fuel injector hanging open? The CBT showing a 9 (again, useful information to post) tells me that all the injectors are fine.
I'd suggest swapping the O2 sensors to opposite sides and rerunning the codes again. See if the code 42 becomes a code 92. if it does, replace the sensor. Rockauto.com has good prices on them
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/783922-code-42-a.html

Well the car is running lean and pops in the intake not running rich...so thats why i thought EGR valve when the car does this i press the diapham in and the car will stumble NOT stall then clear up and no longer pop or bog then after a while sometimes it will do it bacially after the car is warmed up it runs great...

When does it pop? what rpm range?

I'd still investigate the potential faulty o2 sensor first. i would put this as the cause ahead of the EGR.

A cheap, easy way to block of the EGR is to get a razor blade, remove the fat edge that you typically hold and RTV it over the EGR hole between the upper and lower intake. Then you can just leave the current EGR alone.

When does it pop? what rpm range?

I'd still investigate the potential faulty o2 sensor first. i would put this as the cause ahead of the EGR.

A cheap, easy way to block of the EGR is to get a razor blade, remove the fat edge that you typically hold and RTV it over the EGR hole between the upper and lower intake. Then you can just leave the current EGR alone.

Off idle...it will bog then pop..sometimes at 1500-2000 rpms it will miss the when i give it gas POP...in the intake....When its missing like that i get mad so i floor it takes the gas fine no popping and goes like hell...very weird...:shrug:

Check out the link to 42 code problems in Mustag5L5's post - it points to a rich mixture, which will cause poping in the exhaust. If the sensor is way out of whack, it could cause the computer to lean out the mixture, making it backfire through the intake.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/783922-code-42-a.html

Backfiring checklist:

Revised 10-Oct-2010 to add check firing order and move cylinder balance test to end of test sequence

Backfiring out the intake is either a valve stuck open or a lean mixture or spark plug wire(s) connected to the wrong cylinder(s). Check compression on all cylinders and then look for vacuum hoses loose, cracked, or misconnected. Check the line for the vapor recirculation system – it is easy to knock loose and not see it when you connect the air pump plumbing. If the vacuum line for the EGR valve and the air pump are cross connected, some very strange things can happen. Check the mass air flow electrical connection and see that it is tight, the same goes for the fuel injection wiring harness connectors up on top of the manifold near the firewall.

Sticking valves: If a intake valve is bent, has a bad spring or is misadjusted, the engine will sometimes backfire through the intake. Use a vacuum gauge connected to any convenient spot on the intake manifold. Run the engine at 1000 RPM & look for 18-21 inches of vacuum with a steady needle. A problem intake valve will make the vacuum gauge needle sweep 5-10 inches.

Lean fuel mixture breaks out into several sub categories:
A.). Vacuum leaks
B.) Air entering the intake without passing through the MAF on Mass Air cars (89-95 models).
C.) Failure of the MAF, BAP/MAP (Baro or Manifold Air Pressure, same sensor, different name), ACT (air charge temp), or ECT (engine coolant temp). These should set a code in the computer.
D.) Leaking exhaust gases from EGR valve at WOT or EGR opening when it should not be open.
E.) Poor fuel delivery due to bad fuel pump, clogged filter or bad fuel pump wiring. Look for low pressure or fluctuating pressure. Standard injector pressure is 39 PSI at idle, with the vacuum line disconnected from the regulator and capped.
F.) Clogged fuel injectors- see the cylinder balance test below
H.) Fuel injector wiring problems causing injector not to deliver rated flow.
I.) Computer problems: (computer problems are not common like sensor problems)
J.). ROM has bad data in fuel or timing table. This should also set a code in the computer.
K.) Failure of one or more of the computer's driver transistors for the fuel injectors. No code set on this one. Use a noid test light to test the injector wiring & injector drivers,
L.) MAF calibration off or mismatched to injectors.
M.) ACT or ECT bad. Sometimes the sensors will be off calibration, but not bad enough to set a code. If they falsely read too high a temp, the engine will back off fuel delivery.
N.) Firing order off or spark plug wires out of sequence.

The HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
Non HO firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
attachment.php

You'll need to dump the codes to find some of the less obvious problems and to do the cylinder balance test.

Dumping The computer diagnostic codes on 86-95 Mustangs

Revised 19-May-2009 to update drawing for dumping the codes on 86-88 Mustangs with no check engine light.

Dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…Codes may be present in the computer even if the Check Engine light isn’t on.

Here's the way to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

Be sure to turn off the A/C, and put the transmission in neutral when dumping the codes. Fail to do this and you will generate a code 67 and not be able to dump the Engine Running codes.

Dumping the Engine Running codes: The procedure is the same, you start the engine with the test jumper in place. Be sure the A/C is off and the transmission is in neutral. You'll get an 11, then a 4 and the engine will speed up to do the EGR test. After the engine speed decreases back to idle, it will dump the engine running codes.

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

See Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical

B.jpg

F.jpg

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

WARNING!!! There is a single dark brown connector with a black/orange wire. It is the 12 volt power to the under the hood light. Do not jumper it to the computer test connector. If you do, you will damage the computer.

What to expect:
You should get a code 11 (two single flashes in succession). This says that the computer's internal workings are OK, and that the wiring to put the computer into diagnostic mode is good. No code 11 and you have some wiring problems.

Codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

Alternate methods:
For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see Actron® for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see Digital Ford Code Reader (3145) – It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $30.

Cylinder balance test:
Warm the car's engine up to normal operating temperature. Use a jumper wire or paper clip to put the computer into test mode. Start the engine and let it go through the normal diagnostic tests, then quickly press the throttle to the floor. The engine RPM should exceed 2500 RPM's for a brief second. The engine RPM's will increase to about 1450-1600 RPM and hold steady. The engine will shut off power to each injector, one at a time. When it has sequenced through all 8 injectors, it will flash 9 for everything OK, or the number of the failing cylinder such as 2 for cylinder #2. Quickly pressing the throttle again up to 2500 RPM’s will cause the test to re-run with smaller qualifying figures. Do it a third time, and if the same cylinder shows up, the cylinder is weak and isn’t putting out power like it should. See the Chilton’s Shop manual for the complete test procedure.

Ok i understand it could be an o2 sensor but wouldnt it do it all the time?? I mean there are days it doesnt do it and days it does it right on start up and days it does run great in the morning but leaving work it does it bad...'

I ran the CBT 9 flashes so the injectors seem ok?

ran codes you see what i got...id the o2 sensor is bad it says its running rich but its popping in the intake which to me means Lean..i wish i could fix this,maybe i should buy to new o2's and go from there? any ideas...