engine block question

68dustin

Oct 8, 2008
ok im trying to figure out what block i have. Its not orginal for my 68 mustang. it has a flat tappet cam in it, but im wondering if it's a newer roller block. What are some castings that show the difference between a 302 roller block and a old school 302 block? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The casting code above the starter will tell you what you need to know.

C8OE-6015-A.html

another thing is if NOT a roller block, can i tap out the center of the block for the plate and run the wish bones and roller lifters out of a later model block to convert it over to a roller cam?

another thing is if NOT a roller block, can i tap out the center of the block for the plate and run the wish bones and roller lifters out of a later model block to convert it over to a roller cam?

You can do it this way, but you must use a reduced base circle roller cam. The regular roller cams for the 5.0 will not work with the O.E. roller lifters in a flat tappet block. The lifters are too tall and will stick up far enough to uncover the oiling holes in the lifters in the shorter flat tappet bores. The best way is to use retrofit linkbar lifters and then you'll have a wider selection of the regular 5.0 roller cams to choose from. As far as I'm aware, Howard's makes the lowest cost lifters for this.

The roller block casting numbers are not above the starter, they're cast near the rear of the block, sometimes on the driver's side. The only roller blocks I know of that have the numbers above the starter are the roller 351 blocks.