Engine hesitation/bucking, catalytic converter?

bevanoff

Jul 12, 2009
i posted a thread about a week about on a problem with my 98 mustang gt 4.6l engine hesitation and bucking. it only does it under load around 3000-4500 rpm at operating temp. i came across a new symptom that i never noticed before....i have a stock catalytic setup but after it bogs down i start to smell rotten eggs, and when i go under the car right after i turn it a catalytic chamber on the driver side right next to my tranny make a sizzling popping sound, like pop rocks...it is not the usual poping noises you would expect to hear...its almost sounds like a pot on the stove with the lid on and some popcorn inside....haha. i get a check engine light...code p1443 Evap AC purge Valve fault (EGR). any help or idea would help...need to get fixed.

p.s. everything is stock

• Sponsors (?)

being in the business of buying and selling catalytic converters (i think that qualifies me to know when they are bad!!!!)

i would say most definetly please get them replaced before you toast that car

either that or cut'em out straight pipe it or something dont drive that car like that

be kinda just as as bad as driving 80mph whith a blown head gasket and no oil

something is gonna break!

Sounds like the cats to me. I had the same problem with a van a long time ago.
I didn't have problems until the car warmed up. Eventually the exhaust was so restricted the engine would stall. That was way back when I was young and they still sold leaded gas, I was probably putting leaded gas in it or something.
The van ran fine after I gutted out the cat.

I've seen some cars catch grass on fire because the exhaust was too hot and parked on grass so be careful.