Engine Engine Knock / Miss At Low Rps

Offroadgearhead

Aug 17, 2017
So, I have a 2005 Mustang GT 4.6L.
I bought it a few months ago at 98k miles. Shortly after that I noticed that occasionally if I put a load on the engine at low rpms the engine would start to miss and knock, and would keep doing that until I ran the rpms up over 3000.
For example, if I got close to stalling it the engine would start to sputter (as it should), but pressing the clutch back in or returning it to neutral would not help. It would continue to miss and knock until I throttled up to 3000 or higher. Then I could let off the gas and it would idle down smooth as you could hope for.
It used to do this once or twice a week, and only under load. It has gotten much more frequent since then (seven times on my way home from work today). It also will now do it without a load. It makes me look like an idiot at a stop sign when it almost dies out and I have to keep revving it at the person in front of me.
So far I have put new plugs (oe motorcraft), coils, timing chains, guides, and air filter.
What would be causing this?
Or what should I change out next?

• Sponsors (?)

Mine does that, but rattles inside the passenger side head when it is doing that. I am pretty sure either the Cam Solenoid or Cam Phazer is bugging out. I'll replace the Solenoid to start with since it is easy.

So, I have a 2005 Mustang GT 4.6L.
I bought it a few months ago at 98k miles. Shortly after that I noticed that occasionally if I put a load on the engine at low rpms the engine would start to miss and knock, and would keep doing that until I ran the rpms up over 3000.
For example, if I got close to stalling it the engine would start to sputter (as it should), but pressing the clutch back in or returning it to neutral would not help. It would continue to miss and knock until I throttled up to 3000 or higher. Then I could let off the gas and it would idle down smooth as you could hope for.
It used to do this once or twice a week, and only under load. It has gotten much more frequent since then (seven times on my way home from work today). It also will now do it without a load. It makes me look like an idiot at a stop sign when it almost dies out and I have to keep revving it at the person in front of me.
So far I have put new plugs (oe motorcraft), coils, timing chains, guides, and air filter.
What would be causing this?
Or what should I change out next?
Mine does that, but rattles inside the passenger side head when it is doing that. I am pretty sure either the Cam Solenoid or Cam Phazer is bugging out. I'll replace the Solenoid to start with since it is easy.

I had this problem, too. Rolling up to a stop light, the car would feel like it was about to blow up. The fix was replacing the VCT solenoids. The screens can come off and cause them to get stuck, causing your timing to advance while you are actually idling. Whatever you do, do not buy aftermarket solenoids. You can get genuine Ford ones off of Amazon.

Here is a link:
https://tinyurl.com/Ford-VCT-Solenoids

Reactions: 1 user
Does 2005 4.6 Mustang use "drive by wire"? I had plenty of similar symptoms with my '04 Explorer. Won't go into detail unless someone thinks it may help them. imp