Enviromental concerns?

• Sponsors (?)

i real world testing the hybrids dont get anywhere near their epa rated mileage. the test is actually beneficial for hybrids as the test drivers can use the electric engine far more than normal drivers would in the real world, so the added fuel savings is really rather bogus.

Some people have figured out how to reconfigure the electronics in hybrids like the prius to use the electric motor a greater percentage of the time and achive nearly 100 mpg. Those hybrids are in extremly high demand, but they will cost more than the regular models until the are produced in greater numbers. I wonder what maintainence cost are like on the hybrids, and how long their battery last.

rbohm said:
i real world testing the hybrids dont get anywhere near their epa rated mileage.

I've got the Civic Hybrid and the biggest mistake people make is that they think that a hybrid car will make up for their driving style. If one get's into a car and is heavy on the gas and brakes, I doesn't matter what kind of car you're driving, you will get lousy gas mileage. It's all about being smooth when it comes to accelerating and stopping, the fact that the car does not sit and idle is also a help. Granted the EPA estimates are done on a "conveyer belt" at an average speed, I can honestly say that I am getting a respectable 40 mpg in the city. On the highway I average between 45 to 55 mpg.