Excursion goes to that happy car lot in the sky

thunderstorm144

Nov 24, 2004
Alabama
Tree huggers win??

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&e=20&u=/nm/20041213/us_nm/autos_ford_suvs_dc

Funny part is, they plan to extend the expedition. Extend? Like make longer? Doesn't that make it...an excursion named expedition?

Personally, I think Ford decided they have too many trucks that begin with the letter E and decided to drop a few.

Escape, Explorer, Excursion, Expedition, Esperanzo...uh, wait. That ain't one.

This is actually good since I feel about the same driving next to one of those as I do, say, a fully loaded 18-wheeler.

The Excursion was due to be killed off a couple of years ago but got a new lease on life through one of the tax cut measures that allowed accelerated write-offs and tax credits for vehicles weighing more than 6000 lbs. This allowed extra sales to docs, dentists, real estate agents, farmers, etc. Recent legislation closed that loop hole so future sales will be going down and an extended version of the Expedition can make up the difference.

I'm sure that there isnt enough demand for them anymore also. They want to focus their sales on the expedition, and the excursion took sales away.

jadesville said:
I'm sure that there isnt enough demand for them anymore also. They want to focus their sales on the expedition, and the excursion took sales away.

It never occured to me (been having too much fun driving the new Mustang, I guess) but do you know which plant(s) makes the Mustang? Michigan? Atlanta? Wondering.

thunderstorm144 said:
It never occured to me (been having too much fun driving the new Mustang, I guess) but do you know which plant(s) makes the Mustang? Michigan? Atlanta? Wondering.

Auto Alliance International, Flat Rock, MI

This is actually good since I feel about the same driving next to one of those as I do, say, a fully loaded 18-wheeler.

Dude, you should try being surrounded by these damn monster SUV's on the highway in a Triumph TR6, I feel like I'm driving a rollerskate when I'm next to them.

I say good riddence, that's sheetmetal that could be put to better use building Mustangs.

Trust me when I second you. I owned an F-150 for 3 years and I loved my explorer. Sitting up high in truck has it's advantages, like being able to see that hunk of metal in the road up ahead. I was worried when I got this car because now I am back down in the low rider realm. I hate riding behind these campers/4 wheel DVD players on the freeway. I couldn't fathom a triumph next to one of these. Then again, a triumph is small next to a VW beetle, no? (Don't get me wrong. Triumphs are awesome cars!!)

Scot_94GT said:
yea...except the 18-wheeler isn't piloted by some dumbass soccer mom talking on her cellphone, who thinks a 6,000 truck handles like her old Toyota Carolla.

This is true. I have known two guys who drove rigs and I'd let either of them use my stang as a pylon on an obstacle course. It's the squish factor for me.

But unfortunately, some rig drivers are just fu**in crazy. Here in Alabama, we've had the same accident happen in two years. A tanker truck, fully loaded, slams into a bridge support, erupting in flames and melting the bridge above. (we call it malfunction junction) Two times in two years. Both reports cited excessive speeds, measured in the 80's as major cause of accident.

I think we're going to see sport utility vehicles die off in much the way sport coupes did in the mid 90s, as much nicer, roomier pick-ups like the Ram and new F-150, along with the rising-in-popularity-sport-wagon, take their place.

The small sport-utes will continue to thrive im sure....CRV, Escape, Equinox.....but the big SUV's are going to hit a sales wall here pretty soon.

Then again, a triumph is small next to a VW beetle, no?

Yeah, I could probably park my TR in the back of the Excursion, without folding the rear seats down! I know what you mean though about having the height advantage, I see it every time I drive my wifes truck.

yea...except the 18-wheeler isn't piloted by some dumbass soccer mom talking on her cellphone, who thinks a 6,000 truck handles like her old Toyota Carolla.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! I'll admit, my wife sort of fits the soccer mom description, and she drives an SUV, but the Grand Cherokee isn't really that large, not annoyingly so. She's an excellent driver though, and more importantly, she realizes that just because she has 4WD it has limitations, she's not invincible in it, and even though she gets good traction she can't stop any quicker than anyone else in the snow and ice. Personally I'm not a big fan of SUV's, never have been (I don't consider my Wrangler to have been an SUV), handling sucks, braking sucks, thats why I insisted on getting the 4.7 V8 when we bought ours. At least it can move, 0-30 or 40 in that thing is awesome for a decent sized truck, it's all torque. I've embarrassed quite a few kids in ricers at lights with that thing. I think last winter here in NJ there was some kind of statistic given on the radio that said that an overwhelming majority of the accidents in one particular snow storm were due to SUV drivers over estimating the capabilities of their vehicles.