• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

exhaust cut outs

  • Thread starter Thread starter wyant50
  • Start date Start date Jan 29, 2008
W

wyant50

New Member
Jan 2, 2008
21
0
1
Jan 29, 2008
#1
  • Jan 29, 2008
  • #1
66' 289(soon to be built 306), tri-y long tubes, h pipe w/ flowmaster 40s.

I have searched and read different things.. but I am un sure. Where do I put the exhaust cut outs on the car? Before or after the H pipe and roughly how far back? I am using the summit brand exhaust cut outs. I'm thinking this is easier than I am making it.

thanks
 

65 fastback

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
1,347
0
37
Northern VA
Jan 29, 2008
#2
  • Jan 29, 2008
  • #2
I put mine in after the header, before the crossover. In hind site I would not do it again. I uncorked them once at the track and was asked to put them back on before going back out. I've never had them off since.

Tim
 
M

mikethebike

Member
Jun 12, 2007
358
0
17
Greenville, SC
Jan 29, 2008
#3
  • Jan 29, 2008
  • #3
wyant50 said:
66' 289(soon to be built 306), tri-y long tubes, h pipe w/ flowmaster 40s.

I have searched and read different things.. but I am un sure. Where do I put the exhaust cut outs on the car? Before or after the H pipe and roughly how far back? I am using the summit brand exhaust cut outs. I'm thinking this is easier than I am making it.

thanks
Click to expand...

I'd put them behind the 'h' pipe. Also you might want to install the cut-out so that the cut-out is the straight path and the muffler is routed through the side pipe. Jus thinking that if they are uncorked you would want the exhaust out as fast as possible and when muffled it wouldn't matter that much.
 
W

wyant50

New Member
Jan 2, 2008
21
0
1
Jan 29, 2008
#4
  • Jan 29, 2008
  • #4
Anyone else have some input? I'm getting the cut outs tomorrow and would like them installed as well!
 
G

GNGREN

Member
May 5, 2005
144
3
19
Carroll Valley, PA
Jan 30, 2008
#5
  • Jan 30, 2008
  • #5
mikethebike said:
I'd put them behind the 'h' pipe. Also you might want to install the cut-out so that the cut-out is the straight path and the muffler is routed through the side pipe. Jus thinking that if they are uncorked you would want the exhaust out as fast as possible and when muffled it wouldn't matter that much.
Click to expand...

Mmike is correct that is the way to go.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
107
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
C
Need MIL Eliminators?
  • crazyone64
  • May 18, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
252
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech May 21, 2026
GOvert
G
J
Engine 4.6 Running rough at half throttle
  • jake411
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
203
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 4, 2026
jake411
J
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
462
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
5
Hello Everyone !
  • 5150K
  • Jul 3, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
0
Views
146
The Welcome Wagon Jul 3, 2026
5150K
5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?