Exhaust help

03_TrueBlue_GT

May 5, 2010
Houston, Tx
Hey guys I need some help on deciding a new midpipe for my car. I do know the differences between catted and non catted midpipes. I also do konw the difference between the power gains for an x pipe compared to a h and the sound differences. What Im having issues with is, how will I get my CEL to turn off if I do get a catless midpipe and how do I get the car to pass the emissions test? Because I heard that with the tuner that I have the SCT X3 from AM that you can have them mail order you a tune and it will turn off the CEL and rear O2 sensors that cause the CEL, but somebody told me that it will still fail if I do this procedure because the shops computer at the inspection shop running the diagnostic will still tell the operator that my car does not have a catted midpipe even though I have the tune.. Is this true or not? Btw Im in Texas.

Also I have the same question for the catted midpipes. I want to get the BBK catted midpipe if I do go the catted way. Will the catted midpipe allow the car to pass emissions without having to do anything else besides bolting it right up to the car or will I have to do more to get it to?

Sorry for all the questions but Im really confused about this, its one of the reasons why I havent done this mod yet because it seems daunting...:(

Btw if y'all want to post vids of your exhaust setups I would greatly appreciate it! Btw I have flowmaster 40 series on the car now and I dont know if they are the deltas or the originals....

Thanks everybody.:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Your tuner can shut off the rear sensors, however, your rear sensors must be active for your car to pass emissions.

That being said, you will not pass emission without cats. Most people who run o/r mid pipes either swap the stock one in for inspection (a few hour job), know someone who will pass their car, or do not have to pass emissions testing.

Ok thanks man, I know I could find somebody to pass my car around here thats for sure. Im leaning more towards the catted midpipe though because I dont want to have to deal with the emissions part but if I have to do more than just bolt a catted midpipe on to pass, I may just end up doing the o/r route... I just dont want to get pulled over and get a ticket for the cats being gone, I dont know how strict the laws are here in Tx, but I heard in Cali they can really screw you on that...

These are the brands I was thinking of btw, Im open to more suggestions though.

Mac Prochamber H pipe

UPR O/R X pipe

BBK O/R x pipe or Catted version

Also another stupid quesion, will a catted midpipe flow a lot better than the stock one?

Also another stupid quesion, will a catted midpipe flow a lot better than the stock one?

Depends on the brand, but almost always yes. The stock mid pipe will have a total of four cats, and I believe most aftermarket performance mid pipes will have 2 high flow cats.

You can get pulled over and given a ticket for not having cats on your car. That being said, there are so many loud cars on the road that it is hard to enforce. On top of that, the officer who pulled you over would either have to get on his knees or carry a mirror to your car to know for sure. Both are highly unlikely.

Dr. Gas X-Pipe is another good one

Thanks for the suggestion I will check it out.

Depends on the brand, but almost always yes. The stock mid pipe will have a total of four cats, and I believe most aftermarket performance mid pipes will have 2 high flow cats.

You can get pulled over and given a ticket for not having cats on your car. That being said, there are so many loud cars on the road that it is hard to enforce. On top of that, the officer who pulled you over would either have to get on his knees or carry a mirror to your car to know for sure. Both are highly unlikely.

True I never thought about that before... I just dont want to get slammed with a big fine lol... Im really tempted to say screw it and get the o/r midpipe bc my inspection is in a month and I will just wait till then to buy it after I pass...