Exhaust pipe rattle

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
Yesterday, when parking at the church, I backed up too far and jammed my exhaust into the curb. :bang: It did not sound good when I hit the curb. I must have hit it pretty hard, because it pushed the pipe back into the bottom of the shock and now there is a small kink in the pipe there. And it rattles when i go over bumps or rough road.

Lesson learned ... don't back up too far in a parking place! :nonono:

How can I pull it back to where it should be? Or do I need to replace it?

• Sponsors (?)

i was thinking about tieing a rope or something to the exhaust hanger and trying to pull it back out some. at least then it wouldn't rattle like a mofo ...

the kink is not so bad ... it is not close to being a restriction to the air flow.

To pull it if you have a come along or another way to really control how much you pull i woudl do that.. otherwise jsut pull a little by driving then check it, etc...

OR jsut cut off the tail pipes and go with dumps...

Chris.

i would take it to a muffler shop and have them straighten it out. thy shoul be able to do a pretty good job of it. they last thing you want to do is end up with more bends than you started off with.

or you can try this.(if i can explain it good enough) i did this to fx a end on my trbo pipping. first you need apipe thats the same size as the inside diameter of your exhaust pipe. you'll also need a small torch like the propane ones that plumbers use to solder cooper piping, gloves and an extra set of hands.
you'll most likely have to take the part of your exhaust off the car to work better but thats up to you.

put the pipe into your exhaust (wow that sounds homo) all the way to the kink. if you can get it half way through or past it even better. if you get a pipe that about a quarter inch smaller it might pass the kink and be better to start off with bending it back to form.
then heat up the kink. it Doesn't have to be red hot. then use the pipe as leverage, an slowwly bend it back to shape. you might want to have the extra set of hands holding the pipe behind the kink. to keep your exhaust from moving.

hope it helps.
joe

at lunch, i went to home depot and bought 15' of rope. i tied one end to a light post and the other end to the hanger. then i pulled on it with the car starting very gently. i let the clutch out just enough to get the car rolling, then i pushed it back in. each time, i increased my rolling speed a little until it was rolling fast enough to pull the exhaust out. it took about 10 tries, but i was able to pull it out about an inch, so it doesn't rattle anymore.