Exhaust Question: Need alot of Opinions.

JiXeRz GT

Oct 8, 2008
MeRRiLLviLLe
Hi Stangnet! I am looking to buy an exhaust system for my 2005 S197 i just bought. Now my main concern will be less drone and trumpeting. So I need some veteran advice. My first choice will be Kooks Longtubes+Kooks X-Pipe w/ high flow cats+FRPP Stingers/Corsa Mufflers. Second in mind will be Kooks Longtubes+Kooks H-Pipe+FRPP Stingers/Corsa Mufflers. Third in mind is JBA Ceramic coated shorties+Pypes 2 pc. O/R H-Pipe+Stingers, axlebacks. I'm looking for that deep throaty, aggressive musclecar note. I cant choose between FRPP and Corsa Mufflers because it's a hard choice! LoL! Price is not an option. And I just wanna know if you guys have heard these setups in person and I really need opinions!!! Please and Thank you all!

• Sponsors (?)

im not a fan of corsa. def do a long tube set up if your emmisson laws in your state allow it. NJ doesnt allow LT so i went shorties. you can get more out of LT's though. i would go with the kooks, catted x, and stingers if it were me. here is a vid of my set up JBA shorties, magnaflow catted X, borla stingers

YouTube - 08 Mustang GT JBA Shorty Headers, Magnaflow catted X and Borla Stingers

here are some others to look at
YouTube - 2005 Mustang GT exhaust Kooks LT, offroad x & Magnapacks

YouTube - 2006 Mustang GT ARH Long Tubes FRPP Stingers S197

im a fan of the corsa exhaust my dad has one on his 99 corvette, and i just put one on my 09 gt, and love it, its actually pretty loud just for the axlebacks, i had 0/r x and stingers and i will def say if you dont want trumpeting that is not the way to go, may have been different with a catted x, but the drone was enough to drive u nuts on the highway, my corsas have zero drone and are deep and throaty, i heard them with a catted x and they sound amazing but thats just my taste

+1 borlas trump. to much with offroad. drone does take getting use to haha. aslong as im not doing 60 on the highway its no problem. they drone between 1700 and 2200rpm i wnat to say. worse with an automatic

im a fan of the corsa exhaust my dad has one on his 99 corvette, and i just put one on my 09 gt, and love it, its actually pretty loud just for the axlebacks, i had 0/r x and stingers and i will def say if you dont want trumpeting that is not the way to go, may have been different with a catted x, but the drone was enough to drive u nuts on the highway, my corsas have zero drone and are deep and throaty, i heard them with a catted x and they sound amazing but thats just my taste

SO I just went to Corsa's website and they offer drone free mufflers...so I think I'll x out the stingers. THX for you guys Help! Im gonna try this route: Kooks Longtubes+Kooks catted O/R X-Pipe+Corsa Mufflers!!! Does anyone know if anything else will be needed for this setup? And what it will sound like?

should sound pretty sick, im looking forward to doing lt's but i would like to see how they sound, you should post a vid when you get your setup. ive heard a couple with longtubes but the video quality was horrible so u cant really get a good feel for what its gonna be like. there is a vid on youtube where the car has longtubes i believe o/r x and corsas and its on a dyno, if you look it up im sure you will see it but for having an o/r x it sounds pretty good

should sound pretty sick, im looking forward to doing lt's but i would like to see how they sound, you should post a vid when you get your setup. ive heard a couple with longtubes but the video quality was horrible so u cant really get a good feel for what its gonna be like. there is a vid on youtube where the car has longtubes i believe o/r x and corsas and its on a dyno, if you look it up im sure you will see it but for having an o/r x it sounds pretty good

THX for all you guys info! I do appreciate it...if anyone else has more to say...say it plz! And a vid will definitely be posted browning_1!!!

Can't go wrong with either muffler but I have FRPP stingers and wouldn't trade them for anything.

They trumpet some with a O/R pipe but for me when I went to LT's the trumpetimg went away.

I'm running SLP LT's, MAC O/R prochamber, and the stingers.

I had to have my prochamber customized to fit the LT's.

touchy touchy mr. 21 posts.................you new to forums or sumthin - everyone's gunna give thier .02 wether you like it or not dude...........gl and your 2k+ exhaust system will sound great. I'm married with a 2 yrs old and just bought a house - just jealous that's all

Here is the thing. Corsas do not drone because they cancel out the noise at around 2-2.5k rpms. That is the resonant freq. of the mustang cabin, (and most coupes). BUT! the downside is that they make no noise at those rpms. So, some people complain that corsas are too quite. You can only really hear them when you push the car, the rest of the time, at idle and just cruising around town, it is going to be pretty quite. This is a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. I have boomtubes, and they are fairly loud at the lower rpms. This does cause drone, which I was able to fix, and now I can hear a good sound from the engine at any speed.

Watch the vid in this post and listen for the low rpm noise as I take off, and park and stuff. The boomtubes and the corsas are going to sound similiar at high rpms, the difference is that the boomtubes are going to have noise at the lower rpms as well.

http://forums.stangnet.com/774401-interesting-info-boomtubes.html#post7895325

Rather than spend the money on corsas, I would invest in some boomtubes and spend the extra cash on dynamatting your interior. The dynamat will remove any drone from the muffs, and make your stereo sound better, and reduce road noise, and reduce transmission noise, and make you feel like you have a much more solid ride.

I can suggest only one axle back system, it sounds great with "NO" drone.
It is all polished S.S. and warrantied for life. Fit is a no brainer too.
This is a system you probably haven't heard of, the name MBRP.
These guys hae been around for years making exhaust systems for trucks and now they make systems for muscle cars.
I have their axle back on my 06 GT and get many compliments on the looks and sound.
It has a deep sound and really, NO drone.

This is one of mine on the dyno....shorties, o/r x, and corsa sports. I now have cats on my mid pipe.

My Dyno vid