Fox FB motor good deal?

Reddevil91

15 Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
Came across this 331 motor for what seems to be a good deal. Want to see what you all thought or is this a pass. Would be an upgrade for me, bad thing is it’s in Florida so I’d have to pay shipping.
7F3CFACC-3426-47E7-82FD-137808EA13CE.png
9AA1D51E-8ECE-438F-AC6C-FB024EB2F973.png

• Sponsors (?)

You buy a used motor at your own risk. Obviously lol. No I wouldn’t pay that much for it. Add shipping into your costs and maybe I’d pay 3/4 of total price and I would use PayPal to cover any discrepancies if they should pop up. Don’t use friends and family on there because that gets rid of your protection. Also the forged internals are overkill in a stock block. The block is the weak point anyway and only good to about 500hp

Reactions: 1 user
You buy a used motor at your own risk. Obviously lol. No I wouldn’t pay that much for it. Add shipping into your costs and maybe I’d pay 3/4 of total price and I would use PayPal to cover any discrepancies if they should pop up. Don’t use friends and family on there because that gets rid of your protection. Also the forged internals are overkill in a stock block. The block is the weak point anyway and only good to about 500hp
Cool thanks man I was just checking but you are right who knows what’s wrong with it. Plus shipping blah. I’ll stick with my plans and maybe eventually get me that dart block and build it up.

Not a completely terrible price IF you can see it in person and verify everything he claims. For you in your situation, I'd say it's a pass.

Joe

I bought mine from VA and Im in IA. I work for a transportation company, and got it shipped on a pallet for $117. Im sure I could help you with a similar deal. However, what I dont like about that pic is that he cleaned the piston tops. That means the cylinder walls are dry, and hopefully he hasnt rotated it too much in the mean time (scratchy, scratchy). Also, did he take an orbital sander to the deck to clean it up? Hard to know its good and flat still.

The gentleman I bought my 347 from sent me a ton of pics, over communicated, provided leak down test results, and to this day checks in to see if I have it up and running yet. That certainly helped me feel better about it.

I am always a little curious about things like this. Engine was just built, only had "break in" time, so why is it now completely torn down to the short block and for sale?

Because they were like me and couldnt get it running correctly on their own and gave up. I was close on my 347 until I got lucky with a suggestion by a member.

I just like the price, I know it’s a stock motor but seems like the majority of the work is done. Or is it? Idk if it was local I would have probably done it. Idk about the shipping. @95BlueStallion how did you go about getting your shipping set up.

I just like the price, I know it’s a stock motor but seems like the majority of the work is done. Or is it? Idk if it was local I would have probably done it. Idk about the shipping. @95BlueStallion how did you go about getting your shipping set up.

I work for CRST, a transportation company. I walked over to a friend's desk that handles LTL shipments (less than truckload, aka a pallet or a few pallets worth). Told her point A to point B, the estimated weight, what it was, etc. She quoted me a price and I paid with a credit card. I could get you a quote in the same fashion, you would just have to trust me with your CC info, as we dont take personal checks, lol. Although I may be able to figure a way for them to accept a certified bank check. For me to walk into a Fedex myself, my engine was going to cost $460 from VA to IA. Going through our corporate account, it was $113 or $117, somewhere in there.

Buying a used engine is a tough choice. I really felt like I could trust the seller, AND he had all of his build docs and receipts from Woody at Fordstrokers. That in itself was the biggest help in the trust dept. I wouldnt buy it if he cant provide receipts for the internals.

Reactions: 1 user
Buying a used engine is a tough choice. I really felt like I could trust the seller, AND he had all of his build docs and receipts from Woody at Fordstrokers. That in itself was the biggest help in the trust dept. I wouldnt buy it if he cant provide receipts for the internals.
So been chatting with the guy, looks like it was built for a SN95 type car, he claims he is going back to school and is left with no money. So he is parting out his parts to recoup some cash and dropping a 302 in it got him to send a video of it. It’s kinda hard to decide.

View: https://youtu.be/lFNvMnvslt0

He had a turbo on it for break in, eh? I dont know man, I dont feel very good about it. If you were getting a fully assembled engine, that would be one thing, but who knows how much gasket material, dirt and other junk went into the valley of the block and down into the engine while he cleaned all the surfaces... If I were to buy it, I would have it disassembled, cleaned and checked, and reassembled. At that point, you could have the same thing done with your stock engine for the same price.

He had a turbo on it for break in, eh? I dont know man, I dont feel very good about it. If you were getting a fully assembled engine, that would be one thing, but who knows how much gasket material, dirt and other junk went into the valley of the block and down into the engine while he cleaned all the surfaces... If I were to buy it, I would have it disassembled, cleaned and checked, and reassembled. At that point, you could have the same thing done with your stock engine for the same price.
True that man, I kinda thought the same thing. I mean that motor seemed solid, then he tore it down to then drop in a pretty fresh 302. Seems like he is trying to dump out the motor pretty quickly to. To much unknown to feel confident enough to pull the trigger. Sometimes things are to go good to be true, would hate to drop 2k on a dud!!