Finally pushed the new engine hard today, smokes like a diesel and smells like sulfur

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
Finally got enough miles on the clutch that I could beat on the car a little today. Was rolling down my road and did a few rolling pulls in 3rd and 4th. Feels pretty good, but I looked in the rear view at one point and noticed that it was smoking pretty hard. Now that car is running on basically a stock tune with the exception of a couple of tweaks (24lb MAF with 30lbs injectors, deleted EGR and TADS). I think the smoke was blue, but it was hard to tell in a mirror while going 70+ mph. The thing that got to me was the car started to smell like sulfur, and I don't mean the faint odor, it REEKED. I slowed down and started rolling normally, the smoke went away as did the smell. What is this?

Engine is a 347 with about 500-550 miles on it, TFS heads, comp cam, 30lbs injectors, 24lb MAF, TFSR intake. Also, my speedo is reading 55mph when I am actually running about 65mph (according to my GPS), I already have the 19 tooth gear in it and an 18 tooth on the shelf. I don't think that will be enough though. What are my options here?

Thanks

Edit to add: OK, well apparently there is a high amount of sulfur in fuel from the refining process. I suppose the car is running rich on the top end (smoke) which ties in with the smell.

• Sponsors (?)

Is there an advantage to running mis-matched MAF and injectors? If not, I'd straighten that out and see how it runs...

No advantage, it's just what I had on hand. I'm running Quarter Horse, so it *should* be irrelevant.

Incidentally, what is this? Anybody know? It's in between the transmission speedo cable, and the cable that runs to the cluster.

ibdruo.jpg

When I hear "sulfur smell" it makes me think of the catalytic convertors having trouble cleaning up the exhaust. Are you still running cats ? If so, are you still running the air pump and all of the emission equipment? Does it smoke when you get on it, or when you let off (when the vacuum is high)?

When I hear "sulfur smell" it makes me think of the catalytic convertors having trouble cleaning up the exhaust. Are you still running cats ? If so, are you still running the air pump and all of the emission equipment? Does it smoke when you get on it, or when you let off (when the vacuum is high)?

I had my foot in it pretty hard. No cats, no smog pump, pretty much no emission at all (PO took them all off before I bought it).

I have also had a ffailing egr cause the sulfur rotten egg smell.That shouldn't be your issue if you were at wot though.

Yeah, EGR is disabled as well. Is it possible that the car is just too rich?

run it! and drive it like you stole it...

That's what I am told now that everything checked out. compression, leakdown, etc...

I have a similar situation as you. Check to make sure everything is ok, then run it!!!! I am getting about 2.5 ounces every 500 miles in a seperator with a pcv. I only have about 2K on the motor. It was already dyno'd etc... I do need a re-tune tho...

No advantage, it's just what I had on hand. I'm running Quarter Horse, so it *should* be irrelevant.

Incidentally, what is this? Anybody know? It's in between the transmission speedo cable, and the cable that runs to the cluster.

I had my foot in it pretty hard. No cats, no smog pump, pretty much no emission at all (PO took them all off before I bought it).

Yeah, EGR is disabled as well. Is it possible that the car is just too rich?

So are you attempting to tune this car through a quarterhorse with no reference to your AFR? What wideband are you running?

So are you attempting to tune this car through a quarterhorse with no reference to your AFR? What wideband are you running?

No wideband. I'm planning on taking it to a dyno tuner who has more experience then me with QH. I think it just needed to be ran hard, cause it only did it that one time, and I have run it pretty hard a few times since.

Sounds like it's clearing up and that's good. Maybe it just took a while for the rings to seat. I know there are lots of opinions about break in procedures and I don't want to open that can of worms. But one thing that does seem to be agreed upon is an early oil change interval for the first two or three times.

Sounds like it's clearing up and that's good. Maybe it just took a while for the rings to seat. I know there are lots of opinions about break in procedures and I don't want to open that can of worms. But one thing that does seem to be agreed upon is an early oil change interval for the first two or three times.

I agree! And no synthetic or semi-synthetic.

I agree! And no synthetic or semi-synthetic.

Yeah I followed Woody's break in advice. No synthetics, first oil change @ 100 miles, 2nd oil change @ 200 miles. I'm not beating on it. Just rolling into the throttle till about 4K while in 3rd or 4th gear. Did take it up to 5K once though. All seems fine. Just not as fast as I'd hoped. :-/