• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

First HP project this spring for my GT?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lex
  • Start date Start date Mar 14, 2010

Lex

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2004
248
0
16
Halifax NS. Canada
Mar 14, 2010
#1
  • Mar 14, 2010
  • #1
Hey everyone,

its been a while since I been here. I had my GT since last spring and besides a K&N CAI the stang is pretty much stock. I want to add HP but want to start in the right places. What do you suggest I take on this spring
 

WallyKilla

Member
Sep 28, 2009
154
0
16
Mar 14, 2010
#2
  • Mar 14, 2010
  • #2
Subframe connectors
lowering springs
3,73 or 4.10 rear gear....then let the hp mods begin
 

trombonedemon

Well-Known Member
Jun 25, 2009
1,962
39
59
U.S.A, U.S.A., U.S.A.!
Mar 14, 2010
#3
  • Mar 14, 2010
  • #3
Ditto on Wally, I know you don't want to hear this but, start w/preventative maintenance first and foremost, hows the fuel pump, ball joints, spark plugs, injector rings, so on and so forth, I wished I had started there before spending thousand of dollars on mild garbage!
 

oxfordgt

Member
Apr 30, 2006
288
2
18
Clarksville, TN
Mar 15, 2010
#4
  • Mar 15, 2010
  • #4
Slap on a supercharger before anything else then upgrade everything else as needed. Wish I would have done that instead of waste my time and money on bolt ons.
 

Rickyll7

Member
Dec 16, 2005
718
4
19
Mar 15, 2010
#5
  • Mar 15, 2010
  • #5
oxfordgt said:
Slap on a supercharger before anything else then upgrade everything else as needed. Wish I would have done that instead of waste my time and money on bolt ons.
Click to expand...

 

WallyKilla

Member
Sep 28, 2009
154
0
16
Mar 15, 2010
#6
  • Mar 15, 2010
  • #6
How much power are you looking to add? How much money are you looking to spend?
 

Lex

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2004
248
0
16
Halifax NS. Canada
Mar 15, 2010
#7
  • Mar 15, 2010
  • #7
Thanks for the feedback! Definetly starting with maintenance makes alot of sense. I was looking at starting around 3000.00 , But the maintenance may chew that up All good. My first stang was a 90 2.3 then a 99 3.8 and now I got a GT so I actually put thought into upgrades.
 

Lex

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2004
248
0
16
Halifax NS. Canada
Mar 15, 2010
#8
  • Mar 15, 2010
  • #8
I bought my car used and never got a decent history. Is there a guide to see what I have for a rear gear ratio. I doubt its nothing more then stock. I think a spring kit and 3.73 would be my first wishlist. I saw a kit at $260.00 Does that seem right. I love advise so I'm all ears. I'm not in a hurry for HP if my car can't handle it with out upgrades.
 

WallyKilla

Member
Sep 28, 2009
154
0
16
Mar 15, 2010
#9
  • Mar 15, 2010
  • #9
Subframe connectors should be first. Then springs and gears. That will set you back roughly 550$. 2500 to spend I personally would suggest a Nitrous kit and a good tune. Use the left over money for some nice drag radials.
 
P

peepeeskillz

New Member
Mar 23, 2009
171
0
0
texas
Mar 15, 2010
#10
  • Mar 15, 2010
  • #10
save up for the blower IMO like oxford said
 

deftsound

Please ask me how much my supercharger cost
Apr 6, 2004
945
1
39
Texas City TX
Mar 16, 2010
#11
  • Mar 16, 2010
  • #11
Subframes, lowering springs, lower control arms, poly-urethane bushings, gears, shifter, full exhaust. Thats what i would do if i had a bone-stock mustang.
 
D

Deleted member 38176

Mar 16, 2010
#12
  • Mar 16, 2010
  • #12
Very first mod should be gears (at least 4.10's). No doubt about it.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
221
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
Front Coil Overs and Rear Traditional Springs within a Maximum Motorsports K-Member Kit
  • Habu135
  • Sep 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
577
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2026
Habu135
O
My rebirth, Hi from PA
  • onemore1987
  • Jun 28, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
186
The Welcome Wagon Jun 29, 2026
onemore1987
O
2
02 mustang gt crank no start
  • 2v.cjmullis
  • Jan 28, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
396
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 30, 2026
Noobz347
R
Progress Thread A small update on our first-gen Mustang project
  • Restomotive
  • Apr 24, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
121
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Apr 24, 2026
Restomotive
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?