• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Fixing a 66 coupe roof

  • Thread starter Thread starter mtaqua
  • Start date Start date Jan 25, 2008

mtaqua

Member
Oct 7, 2006
345
4
19
Jan 25, 2008
#1
  • Jan 25, 2008
  • #1
I post this thread http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=712983 about 6 months ago. It shows several rust spots on the rear sails, upper and lower portions around the rear windshield. Short of finding a donor car I figured I was out of luck. So I started looking at several options (convertable, ronster, etc.) None of which I wanted to do. So I came up with the following plan.

For the lower portion around the rear windshield I could use a trunk filler panel.
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=3647+01

As far as the rust on the sails I figured I could use fastback sails to make a couple patch pieces. The holes are really small and only on the trailing edge of the sails.
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=778462+01

As far as the holes around the top of the rear wind shield I figured I could use the trunk filler panel to make a couple patches, or use a fastback roof to make some patch panels. All of the holes in the top are isolated and only need a couple inches of patch panels.

I also have some holes around the top of the front windshield. Is the fastback roof the same as the coupe for the first 4 - 6 inches? If it is I figured I could cut the first 4 to 6 inches of length wise of a fastback roof and use the piece as a patch for the front 4 to 6 inches of my roof. I've attached a picture of a fastback roof. I've boxed the approximate area I plan on using. Can anyone tell me if that area is the same on a couple?

I don't plan on making the roof perfect. I do not want to put another vinyl roof on it. I think my plan should work. If it is not "pretty" enough I figured I could at least put another vinyl top back on once I repair all the rust. This option is still better than making a convertable, ronster, etc. Do you all think it might work?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Intro and FB questions
  • gflat65
  • Nov 16, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
255
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Nov 25, 2025
horse sence
B
SOLD 1986 Mercury Capri 5.0 5-speed
  • blackmerc
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
16
Views
851
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Aug 24, 2026
General karthief
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
292
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
T
Convertible A-pillar weatherstrip issues
  • thiefofcheese
  • Oct 24, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
411
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 20, 2025
AeroCoupe
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
362
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?