flexplate crank bolt pattern problem

catfish man

Jun 1, 2021
MS
I have a question is there a different crank bolt pattern for the 28 ounce flexplate than the 50 ounce flexplate ? just purchased a late model 302 and the 157 tooth flexplate with the 50 ounce weight does not line up on any pattern . Plus the crank has 6 threaded holes and one blank hole like would be used for a dowel . any ideas ? Maybe someone knows what flexplate will fit and will the balance be right ?

• Sponsors (?)

Did you spin the flywheel to all 6 possible positions on the crank ? It only bolts on one way. The 50 and 28oz flywheel bolt pattern is the same.

Did you spin the flywheel to all 6 possible positions on the crank ? It only bolts on one way. The 50 and 28oz flywheel bolt pattern is the same.
yes , i put an index mark and tried each way twice . also got another new flexplate just incase boxed wrong . seems like this crank is for an older style . did early model cranks have a different bolt pattern ? measured between bolts and spacing is not the same

I have a question is there a different crank bolt pattern for the 28 ounce flexplate than the 50 ounce flexplate ? just purchased a late model 302 and the 157 tooth flexplate with the 50 ounce weight does not line up on any pattern . Plus the crank has 6 threaded holes and one blank hole like would be used for a dowel . any ideas ? Maybe someone knows what flexplate will fit and will the balance be right ?
I have a 50oz flex plate on my DSS motor, and I found it extremely tight fitting to the crank holes.

These guys are correct tho, it only bolts on one way.

I went around each hole in the plate lightly with a deburing tool, just incase that was hanging up on the bolts. I was able to get each bolt started in its hole and turned each thread little by little in a cross pattern.

Eventually it got easier and just went in and torqued up fine.