Flowmaster Exhaust Currently Too Quiet !?

Btrainfiveoh

Jul 25, 2015
Hey all, I have an 89 fox lx hatch. As for performance mods, all it has is a cold air intake and flowmaster mufflers. It has stock manifolds and stock h pipe with 4 cats... The 2.25" stock piping it seems, and flowmaster 40 series mufflers and 2.25" tailpipes....
At idle you can hear it but at wot I feel like it's really quiet... Not aggressive and nor does it roar.

I've heard my buddies 4.6 new edge 2v with flowmaster mufflers and his cars a lot louder and actually sounds better(I hate to admit it)... I always thought the legendary 5.0's sounded the best... But......

In a few days I have bbk unequal length shorty headers, bbk off road h pipe, and flowmaster american thunder 2.5" exhaust going in(I think they're super 44's on that kit)... I'm excited for it to all go in, but at the same time nervous. Will it be quite a bit louder? Also, are those 4.6 2v's louder than the windsor 5.0's ? (Assuming both have the same work, headers, off road h and Flowmasters or whatever)

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah those 2.25 pipes over the axle almost look like they're barely 2". And the cats are really old and rusty looking, im wondering if they're somewhat clogged up?... It just doesn't make sense why it gets quieter when it's WOT and higher rpm it feels like it doesn't like going up there(anything over 4k)

Also, no 4.6L will ever sound better than a pushrod 5.0 that has full intake and header back exhaust done to it.
Thank god lol, because I've always thought the 5.0's were legendary when it comes to sound, but this buddies 4.6 actually sounds good, aggressive... So I was a bit worried when he asked why mine is so quiet... That'll change in a couple days!!

Reactions: 1 user
I've always loved the sound of an off road h w/ Flowmaster exhaust. Mine is pretty loud and aggressive sounding. With the E cam it always sounded fast at least...lol. My girlfriend used to always know when I was outside of town coming home.

Okay folks... So I got bbk unequal length shorties, bbk off road h pipe, flowmaster 2.5" super 44 cat back, smog pump delete, bumped the timing up to 13 and running 87 octane. WOW!!! Major sound change, loud as hell and throaty, quite pleased.

Reactions: 2 users
Okay folks... So I got bbk unequal length shorties, bbk off road h pipe, flowmaster 2.5" super 44 cat back, smog pump delete, bumped the timing up to 13 and running 87 octane. WOW!!! Major sound change, loud as hell and throaty, quite pleased.
Glad to hear that your happy with the sound and performance. Please ditch the 87 octane and spring for the 92 octane to go with the 13* timing.

Heads, manifold, and an e cam is in the future.
Now that you have your exhaust the way you want you may be wanting to move on to other mods like you mentioned about (heads, intake manifold, etc). Before you do that, in my opinion, you should get Maximum Motorsports full length subframes connectors and regear the rear end. Best money you can spend at this point and trust me that gears make a huge difference.

Now that you have your exhaust the way you want you may be wanting to move on to other mods like you mentioned about (heads, intake manifold, etc). Before you do that, in my opinion, you should get Maximum Motorsports full length subframes connectors and regear the rear end. Best money you can spend at this point and trust me that gears make a huge difference.
Yes, I was thinking of gears. Right now it's the factory 3.08 gears, I was thinking 3.55 ... Not positive yet. And it already has subframe connectors. As for heads, I was just going to port the stock e7's ... Change the valve springs and some sort of cam... Maybe an e303 or something that's good for daily driving and an upper and lower intake. I'm pulling the motor in a few months to do the rear seal, oilpan gasket and what not. (Budget build)