For 200,000 miles... buy a Ford

Condor1970

Dec 3, 2017
I read this article of research done buy Consumer Reports, and as the article reads, if you want a vehicle that will last 200,000 miles or more, buy a Toyota, a Honda, or a Ford F-150. I immediately got to wondering, why was the Ford Mustang not included?

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/03...-2-trucks-most-likely-to-go-200000-miles.html

Two reasons, I can surmise.
1. The Ecoboost engine is known not to be as reliable in the long term as the Coyote V8. Mainly because of turbo life span. This lowers the overall reliability rating of the model.
2. The fact that Mustangs are usually driven so much harder than regular cars (sedans) with a lot of rev limitations, etc. Not too many people drag race Toyota Camry's.

My whole thought being, if you want a good reliable sport coupe that will easily reach 200,000 miles with little trouble, it's probably the Ford Mustang. Especially if you don't drag race the thing every weekend, and drive it "mostly" like a normal car. I say "mostly", because we all know the truth on that one.

Anyone see the logic in this?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I realized not too long ago that there's a good reason why Toyota and Honda have had such good reputations for longevity. It's because their owners never reach or exceed the 1/4 point on the throttle. Even the crappiest engine could go 200K if you change the oil and travel everywhere at just above idle speed.

I don't see why a V-6 or GT couldn't to 200K without any major repair if you're good with maintenance. In regard to the 2.3....does turbo replacement fall into the 'major' category?

I would think a turbo falls into that category. Anything that falls within the propulsion plumbing or drive train should last, if properly maintained. This is why I shy away from turbos. They're just too unreliable.

I'm also considering a BMW 435i. However, I'm concerned about the turbos on the 3.0L inline six. It's a fantastic engine, but that turbo system may not get me the reliability I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure the Coyote V8 will.

Last edited:
I have a 2001 Suburban with a 5.3 that's spent much of its life with the gas pedal buried. It's been used to haul our 34 foot camper, tow, and as the Mobile Command Center for my family since we bought it used with 50k miles on it.

"How did you end up with a Chebby?", you say? It was either that or the venerable non-PI 4.6 :puke: that Ford couldn't give away at the time.

I'm sure glad they worked their way around to the Coyote.