For those who have converted to use 94-04 power steering rack w/MM adapter shaft

JasonRP

5 Year Member
May 25, 2018
Annapolis
Hi folks,
For those who have done the rack upgrade from a 94-04 mustang, and you used the Maximum Motorsports MMST-13 adapter shaft (no rag joint), how does it feel?
I know that the upgraded/newer rack has a different power assist level, but:
1) what's the ratio lock to lock, compared to my '89 GT? Same?
2) without the rag joint, is it too harsh? I've got a driver. If the biggest change is more road feel, but not a crazy amount- that sounds good. If it is MUCH harsher, and best suited for roadrace/autocross/etc., then I think I should probably avoid.

Thanks!
Jason

• Sponsors (?)

Lock to lock ratio is the same. 2.5 turns. It actually varies a tiny bit because some of the 99-04 cars had rack limiters so the ranger is around 2.25-2.5 turns due to the limiters. It’s still a 15:1 rack like the fox sport rack.

no it’s not harsh. You feel more of the road, but harsh is not the word id use to describe it. It’s definitely tolerable on a street car

Reactions: 1 user
You'll like it, I've got the steering shaft and even the aluminum rack bushings and it still isn't harsh. It just feels "solid", like you have precise control and no delayed actions from slop in the system. Only difference in road feel is a little bit of vibration or shimmy and you "feel" different types of pavement a little more, but you get used to it.

Reactions: 1 user