Drivetrain 2004 Cobra Power Steering Rack

AUBURN1111

Founding Member
Oct 17, 2000
Mobile, AL
I must say swapping to a newer style rack with less assist made my car feel so much better especially at higher speeds. Got the information from others who had done the swap, used the Maximum Motorsports steering shaft and parts store 03 - 04 remanufactured steering rack (222000). All thats required is swapping the inner/outer tie rod ends from you old rack to the new, everything bolts up with out modification. I also installed LMRs bump steer kit while I was at it, then get everything aligned. I went from over boosted steering that i could turn lock to lock with one finger to something more sporty the I have to use a little more force to turn, I truly enjoy driving the car now. I would recommend this to anyone who hates that loose feeling, definitely worth the investment.

IMG_9666.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9667.JPG
    IMG_9667.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_9668.JPG
    IMG_9668.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9671.JPG
    IMG_9671.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I did the same swap, but I used the 93 Taurus outter tie rods on the SN95 inners with no issue. I also replaced my PS pump at the same time to make sure it wouldn't whine anymore, it's awesome now.

Might this be a worthwhile swap for a '95 Cobra? I've been considering this, but have only heard stories from people who swapped one into a Fox.

My understanding is that the difference between the SN95 and 03/04 Cobra isn't nearly as large as it is with a fox... but I don't have personal experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems the Cobra racks are getting harder to find. If you can't find a true SPR-ZM Cobra rack, then seek out a 2002-2004 GT SPR-ZK rack instead.

I actually picked one up last week for $50 as a spare.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't want to gamble on Ebay trying to find one so I have the lifetime warranty remanufactured one, but Im so happy driving the car now can't believe I put up with sloppy steering for so long. Zero regrets best $ spent on this car!