Ford 8 inch rear axle

fvike

Aug 24, 2004
Mosjøen, Norway
How much hp/tourqe can they handle ? Has anyone any knowlenge about the Currie Enterprises Alumin8 differential carrier ? This article speaks nicely about it. Would a 8" /w Alumin8 rear end be an good lightweight option vs the standard 9" ? Pros and cons please...

BTW, I'm shooting at the 400 hp mark.

M-Detail built a 331 making about 400hp in a '66. It used a 68-up 8" with 3.55 gears and a t-5(z) tranny. The owner went through two center seections before they went to a 9". Your experience may be different, but I thought I would chime in since you have a 351W and will be making alot of torque.

i have blown 2 housings, 2 sets of gears professionaly installed, alxe and 1 auburn locker and i never used slicks when at the track!

i went from a drum to drum 8", to a disk brake heavy duty 9"- 31 spline by currie and lost time at the 1/8 mile track from an 8.0-8.1 to an 8.2-8.3 just because the more rotating mass. the good thing is i'll never break this rear end!

Was any of your 4 broken 8"ers the Currie Alumin8 ? Would it be better for me to just go for the 9" at once, or should I try my luck with the 8" first ? That is after all what is on the car. Which is odd, because my marti Report says it's an 2.75:1 standard axle. I haven't been able to find any 2.75:1 8" axles.... but there are plenty 9" rears with 2.75:1 ratio. But the bell housing is definitely a 8" housing.

Following is a quote from Currie regarding the aluminum pinion support: