Resource icon

Reference Forscan Odb2 Scanner W Elm327 Usb

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
wmburns submitted a new resource:

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB - affordable windows ODB2 scanner w graphing

Have you ever wanted to find an operational PID value? Do you have a Windows laptop? Do you have $30? If so consider getting the ForScan ODB2 software based scanner. This is a very powerful ODB2 scanner that has to be seen to believed especially considering the low price ($30). The data logging capabilities are nothing short of amazing. A complete game changer. However expect a steep learning curve with the tool.

DIY Anti-theft (PATS) reprogramming:
Yes. It is "possible" to...

Read more about this resource...

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I know this is an old post...Please excuse my ignorant questions and lack of proper nomenclature. With the $29.99 device from Amazon, its software and the available FORScan.org downloads, and my ACER Laptop with Windows 10, will I be able to do things like turn off EGR, lengthen system check times (say on old, worn tired engines) and even change performance parameters ? I have begun studying but as with any learning it helps to ask the "Teacher" questions from time to time. Thanks in advance.
ADDED:My main application that I will be using this for is my 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 drivetrain complete including engine, auto trans, differential, AC, wiring harness , PCM, COMPLETE, in my1967 FB GT project. Also tuning on other 1997 and up OBD2 Ford powered vehicles.

Last edited:
Many of the things that you are asking about involve modifying the PCM working code. The short answer is no. Things like gear ratio changes or fuel injector size changes are not the kind of things that can be done by ForScan (or any other ODB2 scanner).

This ODB2 ForScan scanner CAN access the bi-directional controls that are built into the PCM. The list of available bi-directional controls depend upon the model year and application. Soooooooo the list can be very different depending upon many things. Some examples include (but not limited to):
  • turn on/off the cooling fan
  • turn of/off the fuel pump
  • close the CV vent solenoid or exercise other parts of the EVAP system. Some model years even have a built in EVAP whole system checks.
  • ABS calibration, testing, bleeding.
  • PATS re-programming (with correct license).
  • in some cases 100's more.
If you are working on trouble shooting a cooling fan problem you would find that the process is sooooooo much easier when you can "command" the cooling fan to run "at will". The same holds true if working on an EVAP problem. Think about it. If working on a system that is PCM controled, being about prove that the PCM actually has control is invaluable. As I have said before it truly is a game changer. AND it's not really expensive as most people already own the PC to run it upon.

The true value of this product is HOW it will change your approach to trouble shooting a modern car. The more you know HOW to use it, the greater the value of the product. But don't expect this to "tell" you exactly what parts need changing to fix your specific problem.

Last edited:
Thanks WM and I can see where this tool would be a good place for me to start my education about PCMs, OBD2 and like you said the bi-directional controls as it relates to diagnostics. Since I am new at this i'm sure that there will be a lot to learn from this, way before I get in to "tuning" ? or custom programming and the Advanced tools to do so
Earlier I googled "operational PID value" because I didn't know what that meant. Like I said, there is a lot for me to learn, piece by piece. Thanks again and I am going to order the OHP Ford ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan FoCCCus Mazda OBD2 diagnostics tool. I guess that this would be called an "interface"? connecting the vehicle PCM and the Laptop? Thanks, Greg
ADDED Mon, 9:02 a.m. I see from reading some (last night) in the 1996-04 section that you have given a lot of guidance and advice. I will read everything there that has been posted to see what all I can learn from your interaction with others. That will keep me from "bugging" you with too many questions. Thank for sharing what you do...

Last edited: