Foxbody Cage Pics(Post Some Pics)

I would like to see some foxbody cage pics. I want to install a 6 point cage in my coupe. Maybe a 8 point if I can get very low door bars and if the front bars can be put through the dash speakers and can't be seen too much from the outside. I like cages but, I hate when they are too visible from the outside of the car. I want the cage to be tucked as close to the body as possible. Any other feedback will be appreciated. I would like to be legal for Nhra/RoadRacing.

• Sponsors (?)

I had a 6 point in my old '83 project hatch...no real need to post pics, it wasn't anything special. Like mentioned above, you're either gonna have to climb over the bar or get swing out door bars because if the bar is too low then 1) it probably won't be legal, which won't matter because 2) it won't save you from a side impact anyways.

Your cage looks nice the thing is I want the door bars lower as to not be in the way of getting in and out.

I think what you may be looking for is something like Kenny Brown street cage. The side bars ride close to the floor next to the driver and passenger seat buckets. The rear cross bar rides down below the top, front of the rear bench seat. As mentioned above though, they're not track legal.

Kenny Brown is currently on haitus. No telling if he'll ever get back to making performance parts or not. This is the setup I want for my car as well. I don't really care if it's NHRA legal or not.

csr13atr0.jpg

Here is the SuperStreet cage in an SN95. It's pretty much the same as it is for the Fox except that the rear cross bar rides a lot lower. Sorry for the image quality. Someone else might have some better pics. It's getting harder and harder to find a pic of this cage since Kenny Brown went out of action. You may still be able to find someone that has some of these things on a shelf somewhere.

I don't mind if its alittle higher then that last Kenny Brown cage I just hate when the bar is at a 45 degree angle. I like the horizontal bar like that. I think you could make that legal with just alittle more height. How many points do you need for RoadRacing/Nhra for basic classes. I really want the front bars if I can get them within 1/2'' from the pillars.

I don't mind if its alittle higher then that last Kenny Brown cage I just hate when the bar is at a 45 degree angle. I like the horizontal bar like that. I think you could make that legal with just alittle more height. How many points do you need for RoadRacing/Nhra for basic classes. I really want the front bars if I can get them within 1/2'' from the pillars.

I believe that a minimum 6 point bar is mandatory in NHRA in a hardtop 11.49 or quicker and a convertible 13.49 or quicker. It used to be 11.99 and 13.99 but the recently lowered the times.

I do not know about requirements for SCCA or other road racing organizations.

from the SCCA website http:\\www.scca.com

2. It shall attach to the main cabin of the car at eight (8) points consisting of the mounting plates for the main hoop, the front hoop, the main hoop rearward braces, and the front hoop firewall braces. Two stayrods may be fitted (also referenced in 9.1.6.D.4.d.4, suspension mounting points) from the shock or strut towers back to the firewall or through the firewall to the cage. If the stayrods intersect the allowed mounting plates at the firewall, they may be welded or bolted to the mounting plate. Otherwise, stayrods that pass through the firewall may not be welded or attached to the firewall, and instead any resulting holes should be sealed. Under no circumstances will there be more than eight mounting plates aft of the firewall.

3. The forward part of the cage (the front hoop or “downtubes”) shall be mounted to the floor of the vehicle, not the firewall or front fender wells. Cages shall incorporate a horizontal bar running under or within the dash area connecting the forward downtubes and a horizontal bar at shoulder height connecting the two downtubes of the main hoop. Minimum tubing size for all required AS roll cage members shall be 1.50 X .120, 1.625 x .120, or 1.75 X .095 DOM mild steel or alloy.

8-point, tied into the subframe connectors underneath the car. I kinda wish the chassis guy who did the cage could have kinked the door bars a bit to make them slightly lower, but I'm young so I don't mind climbing over them. I'll be eating those words in 10 years though, hah.

441070_228_full.jpg

441070_232_full.jpg

441070_235_full.jpg

To be NHRA legal, the door bars must cross midway between the driver's elbow and shoulder.

I have been planning a cage for my car, and wanting to go with a through the firewall 12 point,but due to the work invloved because of the last two points, I have decided on a 10 point. Has anyone here seen a few wrecks where the car had a cage? I am gonna be driving 99.999% on the street, without bumpers and the door crash gaurds, and was wondering how safe I would be from a side impact or front/rear impact.

Anyone got pics of a after wreck roll cage? :D

i borrowed a tubing bender and bent mine so they are not in the way of the factory arm rests..... I dont know if u can tell in the picture(because the interior is out) But they do not get in my way at all

Attachments

• roll cage.jpg
    roll cage.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 700
I was looking into the MM 6 pt with the swing outs. Is that NHRA legal for any class? I want to buy the kit, but I need to find someone to trade my Summit Seats for stock seats.

I have a hatch, but IMO, pay a little more and get a little more.. check out wolfecraft racing. IMO the cages are a better quality, and you have more options than with the MM piece. I just had my MM 6 point installed, and it was somewhat a mess. Me and another guy on here (thehueypilot) had the same problems with both of our cars. the 2 rear bars were about 5/8" - 7/8" too short of reaching the wheelwells. We both called MM and got the same responses. "Take a floor jack and a piece of wood, and put it under your floor pan under the front of the door bars....jack the floorpan up a little bit so it will lean the bar backwards enough to touch the fenderwell" ........Im sorry, but that was one of the WORST things i have ever heard to do... screw up my floorpan so that thier flaws in the cage would work... i dont think so. I ended up taking the car and the cage to a race shop here. they had to cut the rear bars off, and make new ones that were the correct length. also, the pads where the main hoop goes are 6" by 6". if you leave it like that, when you look at the car from the side, you will see that most of the bar is visible next to your "B" pillar. I wanted it to be flush with the "b" pillar, so they had to trim the pads down, and weld them into the little hump where the back seat goes.

This picture shows how short the back bars were of reaching the wheelwells like they were supposed to.

bar-1.jpg

i borrowed a tubing bender and bent mine so they are not in the way of the factory arm rests..... I dont know if u can tell in the picture(because the interior is out) But they do not get in my way at all

lol... MM recommends taking a heat gun to your armrests and heating them up, then closing the door on the bar so it will fit better... :rolleyes:

MM makes some good stuff, but i will NEVER...EVER buy or recommend a cage form them.

I am gonna be driving 99.999% on the street, without bumpers and the door crash gaurds, and was wondering how safe I would be from a side impact or front/rear impact.

If you're going to be driving the car on the street all the time, why remove the bumpers and door beams? If you get t-boned, the door bars of a cage aren't going to help you much. Round tubing is not very strong when it comes to direct impacts.