Engine Foxbody Tuners

No offense taken, I didn’t build this engine. In fact, I don’t even know what cam is in it. I’ve often wondered if it’s an Edelbrock as both the heads and intake are. Either way, I’m very happy with the performance, both NA and now with 6psi.

• Sponsors (?)

Just an FYI, adjustable fuel regulators don’t really do anything tune wise. Why? Because adaptive strategy sees the extra fuel and shortens the injector pulse, so now you are back to where you started for fuel delivery but at a higher pressure.

The only time an AFPR helps is if you are tuning and input the scalar values for larger injectors, and those values are for 50 psi instead of 39 psi. In that case you would need an AFPR.

Reactions: 1 user
It's pretty simple, using better (or better matched) parts yields better results per dollar than tuning.
Valve jobs, port matching, custom cams are a plain old better value.
I even think now that it's 2023 the old goal of 300rwhp is outdated. That's what we were shooting for 25 to 30 years ago.
The best i've seen on a stock shortblock ever was 359rwhp (no tuning) and honestly it wasn't even anything all that magical.
Afr 165's valve jobbed and port matched to an RPMII, custom cam, 30's, 80mm pro m, 75mm TB spacer. (i believe the opening of the RPMII had to be ported too since i think it's only 70mm).
I spent more on my heads (well i would have if the last guy payed his extrude honed bill) and got 20rwhp less than that.

Put the money in the parts first, tuning second.
If the tuning makes it better, great, if it doesn't well at least you know you didn't leave anything on the table.

Just remember that the adaptive control varies +/- 12.5%. So if the EEC cannot put enough fuel to the motor then an adjustable FPR comes in handy. This is where reading plugs comes in handy and not just guessing.

You can’t read plugs because the EEC is constantly changing the air fuel ratio from rich to lean….

Besides, that’s 12.5% rich and another 12.5% lean, give or take, although most people agree that it’s 15% + or - at which point you will get the CEL. If that happens it’s time for larger injectors not more pressure.