Fr King Cobra Clutch, Keep, Replace Or Upgrade?

larrym1961

5 Year Member
Dec 18, 2010
Idaho Falls Id
I have my Tremec 3550 out a little repair. I ran it low on fluid and overheated the main shaft bearing now it whines like a supercharger. Since my car has long tube headers and everyone knows what a bitch a clutch swap can be with these in place. I am wondering. I have less than 20,000 miles on the King Cobra clutch I have in there now. It still works and grabs great. While I have my trans out should I keep the clutch I have in there now, replace with another FR King Cobra or upgrade to something else? My car is mostly street but will see the Drag Strip on occasion. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Have you removed the PP to inspect the disc? Does it still look good? Has the car been beat on during those 20k miles or babied? If you've beaten on it here and there then I'd do it now. I have long tubes too and while my engine is out this winter I will upgrade the fw, clutch, etc while i'm doing the oil pan gasket and main seal that are currently leaking.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you removed the PP to inspect the disc? Does it still look good? Has the car been beat on during those 20k miles or babied? If you've beaten on it here and there then I'd do it now. I have long tubes too and while my engine is out this winter I will upgrade the fw, clutch, etc while i'm doing the oil pan gasket and main seal that are currently leaking.

I agree. My car has never let a clutch live for 20k. Usually about 5k, lol.

Joe

My king cobra clutch has lived for almost 50k and still holds, very mild street car with 355 gears. I beat on it regularly, no I don't have sticky tires and I don't 'drop' the clutch very often from a standing start. I am going to change it soon because of a problem I had (self inflicted) with the engine bucking at low speeds. It now has a 'clunk' noise I belive is going to be the springs in the plate.
If there is no problems with it now, I'd leave it, but thats your call and replacing it would be good insurance anyway.
my two cents, I only have a dime, can you send me the change?

Can't recommend a RAM clutch highly enough. I like it waaay better than the king cobra it replaced. Now I only have a few hundred miles on it so i can't say it will wear as well...but pedal effort is better and it grips hard.

5k......1/4 mile at a time....huh Joe?
That's like more than 5k clutch drops!
Ain't your left leg tired?

I've only put about 12k miles on the car in the last 6 years. I am on my 5th clutch. 1St clutch was in it when I bought it, and got chunked for a Ram when I did my rebuild. I fried it 1st track outing and it was done. 3rd clutch was a spec stage 2. 4th was a 26 spline for my new to me gforce trans. That clutch got replaced when the engine came out for new HCI and refresh. It was starting to slip a little. I gave a Ram a second try and so far it has held up really well. I think I accidently bought a stock replacement the 1st go around.

Joe

I have heard good and bad things about RAM Clutches and probably more positive than negative things on the King Cobra. A lot seem to like the Centerforce too. I am debating on if I do replace my present clutch with possibly going with the new McLeod Street Pro clutch. Anyone using one of these??

IMG_0969.PNG
This...

I wish I had taken pics of my Cobra after only 5k miles and a few nitrous passes...it was done. Don't take me wrong it's a tried and true setup..just didnt like the pedal effort as much as the HDX. Centerforce makes a decent clutch but have read more negative comments the last couple years. McCloud is good also.

The price for the McLeod Street Pro clutch is a pretty decent price from LMRS, $263.20 compared to over $300 that Summit Racing wants for them. LMRS lists this clutch on their stage 2 High Performance list along with the RAM Powergrip clutch.

Reactions: 1 user