Friends of PIR.... (Potential closure of PIR)

Johnnb

Jun 16, 2005
The Couve
O.k so a good friend of mine lives in North Portland and had someone knock on his door and want him to sign a petetion to get PIR shut down and or moved. Needless to say he and this guy went rounds for about 10 minutes as my friend is a HUGE drag race fan and races at PIR.

These people are trying to get PIR either shut down or moved to a different area because they are tired of the noise and in this country any more the minority are trying to make themselves out as the majority which is no different in this case especially when they moved there knowing the track was in their area. They are tired of the noise of not only the drag racers but road, motorcycle's etc and want them silenced. They are exactly like the idiots who built mansions around the airport in Hillsburrito and now wants the airshow shut down as well.

I actually signed up and will do what I can to help them as I would rather be there racing on a weekend then on the streets again risking my car.

Friend Of PIR said:
Since 1961, Portland International Raceway (PIR) has been a valuable community resource for motorsports as well as numerous other community activities. Over time, it has developed into one of the pre-eminent race tracks in the United states and has been a regular venue for most of the premier U. S. professional races series. Local an national users alike have contributed to PIR's maintenance and enhancement and it has been largely self-sustaining. Its uniqueness comes from its convenient location within the Portland city limits and its city ownership. The latter makes it very affordable for users and also expands its utility to numerous groups unconnected with motorsports.

Friends of PIR are committed to the preservation and enhancement of PIR as a resource for those who use it, both participants and spectators alike; sustaining and expanding PIR's civic contribution as an institution in North Portland; providing guidance and support for the ongoing management of PIR in a manner that assures its ongoing value as a venue for motorsports and other diverse forms of recreation and entertainment

http://www.friendsofpir.com/

• Sponsors (?)

yeah thats pretty normal .i cant stand it when people move next to somthing and then complain about it ,they new it was there so they should move if the dont like the noise.just like the idiots that complain about the air traffic over their house.i say quite your crying and suck it up.

Sound regulations and whining morons have a very good chance of shutting down PIR.

People who use PIR need to take some action to stop this from happening. It’s good to see an organization standing up to help fight the folks actively working to close PIR.

This area is subjected to noise from the airport, I5, the industrial area between the track and the neighborhood and PIR. If the City of Portland bows to neighborhood pressure to limit noise pollution in the area, the easiest target for the city is PIR. It’s much easier to close PIR than make airplanes or the interstate quieter.

So closing PIR to all forms of auto racing, driver training and HPDE events is a real possibility.

How much would it suck to loose the ability to use PIR for the things we enjoy just because some cry babies don’t like a little extra noise?

If they close PIR to motor sports, they will have plenty of track time for the bicycling crowd. Nothing like watching a pack of Lance Armstrong posers entering the chicane at 10mph. :puke:

What are we going to do about it? I’m open to suggestions and hope to hear them. I also challenge the users of PIR (myself included) to do something to keep PIR open, operational and with few restrictions.

Keith

duner said:
Sound regulations and whining morons have a very good chance of shutting down PIR.

People who use PIR need to take some action to stop this from happening. It’s good to see an organization standing up to help fight the folks actively working to close PIR.

This area is subjected to noise from the airport, I5, the industrial area between the track and the neighborhood and PIR. If the City of Portland bows to neighborhood pressure to limit noise pollution in the area, the easiest target for the city is PIR. It’s much easier to close PIR than make airplanes or the interstate quieter.

So closing PIR to all forms of auto racing, driver training and HPDE events is a real possibility.

How much would it suck to loose the ability to use PIR for the things we enjoy just because some cry babies don’t like a little extra noise?

If they close PIR to motor sports, they will have plenty of track time for the bicycling crowd. Nothing like watching a pack of Lance Armstrong posers entering the chicane at 10mph. :puke:

What are we going to do about it? I’m open to suggestions and hope to hear them. I also challenge the users of PIR (myself included) to do something to keep PIR open, operational and with few restrictions.

Keith

Well said!

that pisses me off to no extent... they KNEW the damn track was there before they moved there... they KNEW the airport was there and they KNEW the god damn Freeway was there, so stfu and deal with the noise or move... god what I wouldnt give to...

I dont see how there bitching about the noise level's? I work just on the other side of the sleth and can barly here the cars run at night wens& weekends? In the day time i/we can here em better but hey if everyone is working tho? I agree with everyone else tho you knew it was there when you moved in so STFU! peace

john:p

The track has been there for years, long before people decided to invade the area and establish residences close to it. There are already measures in place to cut the noise down to match regulations and law concerning the excessive noise that the louder cars make. It is like being a cynical person that hates kids with a passion but moves across the street from an elementary school, only to complain about the noise that the kids make in the school yard during recess. You know the school is there, you know you hate kids and their noise, therefore you have no reason to complain. If you don't like it, MOVE.

I am growing extremely tired of intolerable people who try to use and abuse the system over pre-existing conditions that they were aware of before they made a decision to expose themselves to it. It is like tv or radio... If you don't like the show that's on, change the god damn channel. If you don't like the song that is currently playing, change the god damn station. People have the ability to make choices to better and benefit themselves, however the people involved in this are only in it to better themselves while making other people miserable without any offer of compromise.

They can kiss my ass. Long live PIR :SNSign:

Here is how the conversation would go for me:

after the long speil...

Jeremy: "so you moved in to your house in 1960, and then they went and built this noisy track by you? Thats messed up".

whiner: "well, um actually I haven't been there since 1960, I moved here from california in..."

Jeremy: "So you moved in after the racetrack was already there?"

whiner: "well, yeah"

Jeremy: "Die in a fire"

haha good convo, and this is bull****. Honestly if they close this down im going to have to resort to street racing. Its bad but what other track is close?

My contribution :D
codemonkey said:
Here is how the conversation would go for me:

after the long speil...

Jeremy: "so you moved in to your house in 1960, and then they went and built this noisy track by you? Thats messed up".

whiner: "well, um actually I haven't been there since 1960, I moved here from california in..."

Jeremy: "So you moved in after the racetrack was already there?"

whiner: "well, yeah"

Jeremy:

View attachment 437552

Learn the lessons of those that have gone before it(Portland Speedway). I grew up in a shet hole on the other side of union from the speedway. Wed, Fri, Sat nights during the summer were filled with what i thought were wounderful sounds of racing. then the resedents started complaining and racing became muffeled. it happened once it can happen again.

This is a very good sticky to have up at the top of the forum as I know most of us race there quite often both on weekend and Wed nights.

I really hate people who move into something like this or intentionaly put themselves into a situation and then complain. They have no right to move around something and then turn around and complain and demand someone shut it down!

Great thread to stick!

I see that we have some passionate folks here. However, complaining here won’t keep the track open. We need to take some action. I completed the contact form on the http://www.friendsofpir.com/ web site. I included a link to this forum on the contact sheet. I will also be researching other ways we can make a difference. As I find other ways we can make a difference, I will share them in this thread. Please don’t leave it to me. We all need to help fight this. The more people that show a serious interest in keeping the track open the better chance we have.

It occurs to me that the local shop owners have a huge stake in the continued operation of the track. I imagine a significant amount of revenue is made from enthusiasts who frequent PIR on open track days and especially the late night drags. I bet the closure of PIR will affect your bottom lines.

Allen, Jeff, and Tim what are you guys doing to ensure the track continues to operate?

duner said:
Allen, Jeff, and Tim what are you guys doing to ensure the track continues to operate?

What can be done with a$$hats like Tom Potter running the place? He thinks we can just pick up and move PIR to the freakin dessert. If anyone comes up with any idea, please let us know. Maybe putting up some petitions to sign by our customers- that kind of thing. Just let me know and I will be happy to donate Jeff's time to the cause.

----Jeff
AFP tuner god in training

StretchedHarley said:
Great thread to stick!
I can't stand by an allow this to happen without doing something to stop it. I hope by sticking this we can help make a difference.

tehnick said:
There are already measures in place to cut the noise down to match regulations and law concerning the excessive noise that the louder cars make.
True. The warm up for the Champ Car race was held on Saturday. The race was on Sunday and they could not run the Champ Cars until 10am.

tehnick said:
They can kiss my ass. Long live PIR :SNSign:
Exactly. I'd like them to know failed when they are puckering up.

Juiced87Notch said:
honestly I think the fact that closeing pir down would increase the ammount of street racing is the best defense it has right now :(
The late night drags were started to help stop street racing. You are correct this aspect is important.

89SportVert said:
Learn the lessons of those that have gone before it(Portland Speedway). I grew up in a shet hole on the other side of union from the speedway. Wed, Fri, Sat nights during the summer were filled with what i thought were wounderful sounds of racing. then the resedents started complaining and racing became muffeled. it happened once it can happen again.
BINGO! They did it once they may do it again.

WaterPog said:
The group should file a measure 37 claim to get the noise limit lifted on behaf of the owners of the track ;)
:nice:

gospeedgo said:
What can be done with a$$hats like Tom Potter running the place? He thinks we can just pick up and move PIR to the freakin dessert. If anyone comes up with any idea, please let us know. Maybe putting up some petitions to sign by our customers- that kind of thing. Just let me know and I will be happy to donate Jeff's time to the cause.

----Jeff
AFP tuner god in training

I was talking to the other Jeff :D :rlaugh:

I understand where you are coming from, Jeff. I don’t like the direction they are taking the city and hate this BS idea of closing PIR. Doing nothing to support PIR will just make it easier to for them to close the track.

I think a petition is a damn good place to start.

Keith

duner said:
I was talking to the other Jeff :D :rlaugh:

I know, but I am running defense for him so you got me.

Is there an active petition? If so, do they allow just anyone to have copies and get them signed? We see enough customers to fill up a few sheets- same with Fast, KKP, RREV, Supertune, Somers, Tmac, Dustys, Alignment Brake Specialties, Punks Exhaust, Wongs Performance, Baxters, Radke's, not to mention other clubs, events and tracks.

The first step is getting these "legal" petitions though. Any ideas?

-Jeff