fuel delivery issues?

lewismwagner27

Oct 18, 2018
2001 v6 runs great when the gas tank is anywhere between full to half. But once i hit half a tank, it starts running like crap. Stalling, jerking, and will shut down making me have to pull off to try and restart the car. I've replaced the fuel pump, plugs, and can position synchronized without any change. Car will cut completely off if I make a hard turn. Seems like fuel pressure maybe??

• Sponsors (?)

OBD-ii Code P0453 definition: The EVAP (Evaporative Emissions) System allows fuel tank vapors to be purged into the engine and burnt rather than expelled into the atmosphere as harmful emissions.

P0460 is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for "P0460 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Malfunction".

2 codes im getting

still makes no sense to me why the stalling from a half tank and below

So what is the fuel pressure when the problem occurs?

It also seems obvious to me that there's a problem with the wiring to/from the gas tank to the car's body itself. I further suspect there's a problem inside the gas tank. For example:
  • A hole in the suction side of the fuel pump such that the hole is uncovered when the gas level drops below half tank.
  • Some sort of problem with the fuel level arm. Perhaps it's shorting out other wires when the tanks level is below half tank.
  • There's a crossed wire such that the power for the fuel pump is being affected by the fuel level sensor.
If this were my car I would be doing a through visual inspection of the wiring to and from the gas tank hat and through the tank hat.

I think the DTC's are a symptom of the real problem.