Fuel Filter question

I changed out my fuel filter on my 02gt this weekend. Now the check engine light is on. Any ideas on what could cause this? I double checked and the hoses are securely connected and the flow is in the correct direction. I disconnected my battery and that cleared the light for a few days but now it is back.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I doubt if the filter change caused it , you may have knocked off a wire somewhere , anything is possable the code reader is easy to use & there cheap now if your going to keep the car buy one you wont be sorry ..goodluck .......................................Johnnyboy

its a P1233 code.....happened when I did mine. Im guessing you unplugged the emergency shut off in the rear? Get the codes pulled if you, but if thats the code then just disconnect the battery. Oh and dont listen to them as far as what they say the codes are.

i changed my fuel filter on my 97 f150 last week and my check engine came on last night. i had autozone check the code. it was p1450-unable to bleed up fuel tank vacuum. he said he has never seen that one before. he said it might be some kind of purge valve for the gas tank. emissions crap

i disconnected my battery and that cleared the code. Its been a day or two and the light hasn't come back on. I did disconnect the fuel cutoff to bleed the pressure when changing the filter.

Now I am back to why I even changed the filter. When i fill up the tank with gas it won't let more than about a dollor or two in the tank before it hisses and shuts off the pump. Going to take into the shop next week for that.

I didn't do anything like disconnecting the emergency fuel cutoff or anything...just removed it, let it spill it's contents all down my arm, but no biggie. With the right tool, swapping the fuel filter is a 5-10 min job.
Amazing how much crap was in the old filter after 25K miles...not sure if it made any difference, but I'm sure the 4.6L is a bit happier now.

khuntsinger said:
i disconnected my battery and that cleared the code. Its been a day or two and the light hasn't come back on. I did disconnect the fuel cutoff to bleed the pressure when changing the filter.

Now I am back to why I even changed the filter. When i fill up the tank with gas it won't let more than about a dollor or two in the tank before it hisses and shuts off the pump. Going to take into the shop next week for that.
thats normal for a mustang. I think everyone here has the pump kick off. try not putting the spout all the way in the filler hole. worked for me.

Dan_Soprano said:
thats normal for a mustang. I think everyone here has the pump kick off. try not putting the spout all the way in the filler hole. worked for me.

I have tried not putting the spout all the way in. The only way to get the car to fill up normally is to leave the car running when I fill up the tank. Or fill it up $1 at a time. :bang:

Well the problem with the check engine light has not gone away. I also can't get the car to fill up with gas unless I leave it running. If I don't leave it running then I have to fill it up about a gallon at a time. Take forever!.

So I dropped the car off at the dealership today. I will post an update when I find out what is wrong with her.

khuntsinger said:
Well the problem with the check engine light has not gone away. I also can't get the car to fill up with gas unless I leave it running. If I don't leave it running then I have to fill it up about a gallon at a time. Take forever!.

So I dropped the car off at the dealership today. I will post an update when I find out what is wrong with her.

Sounds like you have a clogged vent tube.

Wikkdgt said:
I never replaced my fuel filter but i don't have a pump kick off problem. That shouldn't be a normal thing for any car.

I just heard from the dealership. The fuel problem is due to a bent Vent Control Valve. So that has to be replaced.

The check engine light will be fixed by upgrading the PCM to the latest software.

with my warranty deductible its just $148.

Not to bad. I should have it back this afternoon