Electrical Fuel gauge problem

I replaced the entire fuel pump and float assembly a month ago. Car wasn’t driven much for several years and noticed that the fuel gauge wasn’t reading correctly on startup a while back so figured the float had gotten fuel logged. Fuel gauge was showing about 1/3 or so with a full tank. I had a new fuel pump and float/sending unit installed. After the new install, fuel gauge still shows about the same. Also, cluster oil pressure gauge reads (and has for decades) readaround 60-70 psi at all temps which is pretty wrong based on the stepper oil pressure gauge that is installed. Other dash gauges (temp/volts) seem to be correct. I searched the forums but didn’t find much relevant info. I know that grounds can be an issue, but what other things do I need to check?

• Sponsors (?)

There is a slosh module for the fuel gauge that could be bad and may cause issues with the other gauges. I would recommend that you go to this thread and scroll down to jrichker’s post on "fuel gauge trouble shooting procedures".

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I went thru jrichker's fuel gauge list last summer due to similar complaints on my 87. Narrowed it down to the "anti-slosh" module. Ordered one from NPD and it fixed my multiple gauge woes. NPD is quite proud of those things.....

I went thru jrichker's fuel gauge list last summer due to similar complaints on my 87. Narrowed it down to the "anti-slosh" module. Ordered one from NPD and it fixed my multiple gauge woes. NPD is quite proud of those things.....
Same here. And yes they are quite proud of them, but I guess when they're the sole source they can be that way. Mine arrived today.