Fuel pressure drop

Stantheman

Apr 12, 2023
Hey guys I have a 92 mustang it’s been modified a bit edelbrock performer intake e cam I’ll take it for a little drive and it’ll pretty much install start trying to die I took it down the road today and back when it started acting up I hooked a fuel pressure gauge up and it had dropped down to 10 and when I rev it go down to 0 I have a video of it also thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Off the top of my head these are some possible issues the car has (could be one or multiple): a failing fuel pump, the "S" hose between the fuel pump and the hanger has a tear in it (they rot out over time), plugged strainer/sock on the suction of the pump, plugged fuel filter, or a failing fuel pressure regulator.

Is the fuel pump the original one? If it was replaced when was this done and what brand and flow rate?
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?
Is the pressure regulator on the fuel rail the original? If its been replaced what brand is it?

Reactions: 1 users
Off the top of my head these are some possible issues the car has (could be one or multiple): a failing fuel pump, the "S" hose between the fuel pump and the hanger has a tear in it (they rot out over time), plugged strainer/sock on the suction of the pump, plugged fuel filter, or a failing fuel pressure regulator.

Is the fuel pump the original one? If it was replaced when was this done and what brand and flow rate?
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?
Is the pressure regulator on the fuel rail the original? If its been replaced what brand is it?
So I just got the car it’s said to have a 255 walbro and it has what I think is a Holley adjustable fuel regulator I have set the idle fuel pressure with vacuum off at 40 and it seems to stay but when the car acts up I can turn it off for a min and back on the fuel pressure will go back up at idle but if you drive it’ll go right back to what it was doing

Last edited:
So I just got the car it’s said to have a 255 walbro and it has what I think is a Holley adjustable fuel regulator I have set the idle fuel pressure with vacuum off at 40 and it seems to stay but when the car acts up I can turn it off for a min and back on the fuel pressure will go back up at idle but if you drive it’ll go right back to what it was doing

I would first check fuel filter, then smell the vacuum line for the regulator, then I would go for the fuel pump.
Who am I kidding, I'd go straight for the pump, then work my way backwards to the cheap/easy crap.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Would suggest you pull the codes first and work through them. Some may be "permanent" in that if you have deleted things they will not clear. I'm curious if you have any related to the fuel pump circuit.

Go here for the codes:

LMR also has them:

The one that is suspect is this one:

23 - Throttle position signal out of specified range

You need to get that cleared first. Go here:

After you get it in range either by adjustment or a new TPS clear the codes and then pull them again.

Go here for the codes:

LMR also has them:

The one that is suspect is this one:

23 - Throttle position signal out of specified range

You need to get that cleared first. Go here:

After you get it in range either by adjustment or a new TPS clear the codes and then pull them again.
I got the tps in range it’s still dropping fuel pressure when driving I’m thinking filter or pump it only does it when it has been running for a minute

See if you can do what Mr.Kelly suggests above. If you can sweep the pressure with the adjustable FPR then I would say the FPR is working as it should be. Check the vacuum line on the FPR for fuel as that is an indicator that the diaphragm is damaged and you can usually get rebuild kits for them. From there I would change the filter as that is cheap and easy. If the filter is still the stock style it will be a Motorcraft P/N FG-1060. It is located above the passenger side of the rear end in front of the fuel tank. The fittings on either end have some aweful clips that hold the lines on the quick connections of the filter housing.

LMR has a pretty good video on replacing them:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VkHaqnqy2Q

If this does not fix the issue then my next guess would be the pump so that means dropping the tank.

See if you can do what Mr.Kelly suggests above. If you can sweep the pressure with the adjustable FPR then I would say the FPR is working as it should be. Check the vacuum line on the FPR for fuel as that is an indicator that the diaphragm is damaged and you can usually get rebuild kits for them. From there I would change the filter as that is cheap and easy. If the filter is still the stock style it will be a Motorcraft P/N FG-1060. It is located above the passenger side of the rear end in front of the fuel tank. The fittings on either end have some aweful clips that hold the lines on the quick connections of the filter housing.

LMR has a pretty good video on replacing them:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VkHaqnqy2Q

If this does not fix the issue then my next guess would be the pump so that means dropping the tank.

Replaced the filter today really dirty fuel coming out before the filter end the other side came out clean. didn’t fix my issue I didn’t read what you said until today I will try turning the pressure up and see what happens. Also I have what I think is 30lb injectors would that be to much injector. Also when the problem starts occurring the fuel pump gets real noisy making me believe it is the pump.

I'm with Mr.Kelley after your comment of "Also when the problem starts occurring the fuel pump gets real noisy making me believe it is the pump." as this kind of info helps a lot. Be sure to get an install kit with the pump or that it comes with one that consists of a fuel pump, fuel pump sock/strainer, "S" hose, lock ring and seal. Most will come with the fuel pump wiring pigtail and new "S" hose clamps as well.

When you say "Replaced the filter today really dirty fuel coming out before the filter end the other side came out clean." does this mean that you have dirty fuel coming out of the tank before the filter? If so you need to clean the tank out. You can Google how to do that but some Purple Power or Simple Green will generally get one pretty clean. If it is really nasty you can call some radiator shops and see if they will steam it but that is becoming a dying art anymore.

I had 42 lb/hr injectors on a 306 and it ran great. Hopefully you have a "calibrated" MAF to match the injectors or the car has a tune aka a chip. If not then the ECU is working off of fuel tables for 19 lb/hr injectors and it will run rich.