Fuel Pump cut off switch?

HtownGT

Dec 5, 2002
Houston
I will be putting in a fuel pump cut off switch soon into my stang to prevent theft and lower the insurance 5%. but the question I have is in the instructions I got off All Ford Mustangs was that the guy used a 30 amp switch, isn't that much higher than necessary? Also how much is the fuel pump, i figured like 20 max under a load on my 190lph pump. Also if anybody has done this can you give ideas for the best location for it or anyhting with the install. Thanx.

• Sponsors (?)

HairyCanary said:
Stock is a 20A fuse. :shrug: Seems to be working fine with my 255 lph pump.

The amperage rating on the switch is not like a fuse rating. A fuse rating of 20A means any current over 20A will blow the fuse.

On a switch, a 30A rating means anything over 30A renders the switch useless. There will be too much current running through the switch, causing it to be closed, no matter what position the switch is in.

Basically, getting a higher rating switch is good. Less chance of the fuel pump cutting off while driving during increased loads. But I wouldn't go too high. The resistance of a 100A switch MIGHT be higher, and in turn the fuel pump will operate slower/not at all. Get a 30A switch.
Scott