fuel pump wont turn off (yea I know)

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
My car was working fine no problem. I push it out to sit outside and it rained 2 days in a row. I went to go turn my car on and the battery was dead. I swapped out the battery and realized when I connected it the fuel pump was running and wouldnt shut off. I replaced the fuel pump relay about a month ago and I took it out and tested it with a multmeter and it seems to be working fine. The computer is also brand new. Something obviously just randomly happened overnight, and for some I have a feeling something got wet, but I am not sure what else it could be. I am planning on trying a new relay but I dont think that is the problem. Any other ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 93 GT with fuel pump relay under hood near Maf. I hid my wires under the fenders, which meant I moved the relays there too. I drove it in one heck of a rain storm, parked it at my sister's house and came outside to find the pump running non stop. Finally stopped, made another trip in rain, same thing. Ended up frying the relay.

The relay connection pack is not weather proof and the bottom side was filling with water, which caused an electrical connection. I replaced the relay, after drying it out well, and moved everything further back in the fender...no more problems.

I recently purchased a weather pack relay off line for about $10 when I did my electric fans. Maybe a route to consider if your relays are getting wet, or take some other measure to protect them from water.