FUGGIN Dodge Ram Shifting Issues

kiddiccarus

The first widely accepted Tranny
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
30 Mins from a Ragged GT
OK, In short. I have my hands full here with this truck because its hunting season and I need it for 3 deer before I can begin working on it.

So:

2004 Dodge Ram 4.7L 1500 SLT Quad Cab (2WD)

Codes:

P0770 4c Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
P0700 Transmission Control System (Malfunction Indicator Lamp Request)
P0770 Shift Solenoid E Malfunction
P1684 Battery Power Disconnected

Parts Replaced:

- Throttle Position Sensor
- Doorman 609-040 KICK DOWN SOLENOID
- Filter and Fluid Changed
- Spark Plugs
- Coil Packs

Symptoms:

- Truck feels as if driving is labored
- Slow response
- Sometimes will jump rapidly in RPM's before shifting
- Shifts hard on upshift and sometimes on downshift
- After a hard shift when you come to a complete stop, the truck will go into limp mode.
- Turning off the truck and restarting it sometimes will let it run smoothly once again.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm not a lot of help with these kinds of issues, but it seems I saw something somewhere about a solenoid or controller in the transmission that can go bad. I guess I'd say research that. I'm sorry I can't help much more than that right now. :shrug:

Its all good any input is appreciated. I have already replaced the kick down solenoid. I think It may be a damn TCM though. BUT, I will tinker with it for a bit before I give in and send it to the transmission shop. I think those TCM's have to be flashed after installed.

P0770-4C SOLENOID CIRCUIT

For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W

When Monitored:
Initially at power-up, then every 10 seconds thereafter. The solenoid circuits will also be tested immediately after a gear ratio or pressure switch error is detected.

Set Condition:
After three consecutive solenoid continuity test failures, or one failure if test is run in response to a gear ratio or pressure switch error. Note: This DTC is strictly an electrical fault and does not apply to any internal transmission failures.

Possible Causes
RELATED RELAY DTC'S PRESENT
(T259) 4C SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO OTHER CIRCUITS
(T259) 4C SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
(T259) 4C SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Always perform the 45RFE/545RFE Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting Procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

Theory of Operation
The Transmission Control System uses six electronically controlled solenoids that allow hydraulic fluid to be applied to various friction elements (clutches), which enables the gear requested. The continuity of each solenoid circuit is periodically tested. Each inactive solenoid is turned on for a few milliseconds, then off. Each active solenoid is turned off for a few milliseconds, then on. This pulsing of voltage to the solenoid causes an inductive spike which can be sensed by the Transmission Control System. If an inductive spike is not sensed by the Transmission Control System during the continuity check, it is tested again. If the test fails three consecutive times, the appropriate Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is set. If the solenoid test is run in response to a gear ratio or pressure switch error, one failure will result in setting the appropriate DTC. Note: This DTC is strictly an electrical fault and does not apply to any internal transmission failures.

Diagnostic Test
1. RELATED TRANSMISSION RELAY DTC'S PRESENT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the scan tool, check for other transmission DTC's.

Are there any Transmission Control Relay DTC's present?

Yes
Refer to the Transmission category and perform the appropriate symptom. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

No
Go To 2

2. CHECK TO SEE IF P0770 IS PRESENT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
Remove the Starter Relay.

NOTE: Removal of the Starter Relay is to prevent a Transmission, NO RESPONSE, condition and disable the starter.

Install Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333.

NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.

Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, actuate the 4C Solenoid.
Monitor the 4C Solenoid LED on the Transmission Simulator.

Did the 4C Solenoid LED on the Transmission Simulator blink on and off?

Yes
Go To 3

No
Go To 4

3. CHECK THE TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY

With the scan tool, continue to actuate the 4C Solenoid for the period of 2 minutes with the Transmission Simulator still connected.
After 2 minutes of actuation, with the scan tool, stop the actuation and check for transmission DTCs.

Did the DTC P0770 reset during the actuation test?

Yes
Go To 4

No
Replace the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly per the Service Information. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE/TRANS SOLENOID/TRS ASSY - REMOVAL)
Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

4. CHECK THE (T259) 4C SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT

Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
Disconnect the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333.
Disconnect the PCM harness connectors.
Measure the resistance between the (T259) 4C Solenoid Control circuit and all other circuits in the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly harness connector.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms between the (T259) 4C Solenoid Control circuit and any other circuit(s) in the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly harness connector?

Yes
Repair the (T259) 4C Solenoid Control circuit for a short to another circuit(s).
Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

No
Go To 5

5. CHECK THE (T259) 4C SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

Connect Miller tool #8815 to the PCM C4 harness connector.

CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller special tool #8815 to perform diagnosis.

Measure the resistance of the (T259) 4C Solenoid Control circuit from the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly harness connector to the appropriate terminal of Miller tool #8815.

Is the resistance above 5.0 ohms?

Yes
Repair the (T259) 4C Solenoid Control circuit for an open.

No
Go To 6

6. CHECK THE (T259) 4C SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the (T259) 4C Solenoid Control circuit.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes
Repair the (T259) 4C Solenoid Control circuit for a short to ground.

No
Using the schematics as a guide, check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace the PCM per the Service Information. With the scan tool, perform QUICK LEARN.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: Got the #4 Deer so we have been doing some back woods testing on this issue.

Changed the spark plugs and the coil packs and it defiantly is a change in power and turning the tires over. This cured the random multiple misfire that was going on. The plugs were worn down the the nubs and the coil packs though service able, well I get a hell of a discount at the shop with commercial sales so why not.

Cleared the codes and took it out. Drove smoothly for a long time until I got out on the expressway. I merged into traffic and BAAM the transmission jerked, codes popped and back into limp mode. Pulled over to verify limp mode. Came to a complete stop and then took off once again. YEP POOCH CITY.

Turned the truck off and cleaned the codes. I started it back up and began to get back into traffic, this time gentle and smooth. Once I merged into traffic and was up to speed I didn't have any issues at all.

It seems as of now that if I am not hard accelerating the truck wont throw the codes and kick like it does. SOOOOOOOO, I may hold off as of right now getting it into the shop to get my bathroom done. For now, I am driving gently.

LOL I think that I will be getting a buddy to do a full diagnostic on it. I am not sold that the transmission is the issue here. If it was why would I be able to turn it off and then back on 10 seconds later and it drive fine once again. The surge in the idle and the buck on the transmission is happening about 40 mph now at that shift point. I have had numerous people telling me what is NOT wrong with it, but none that can say what is.

I have just switched to the mid grade fuel to see if that may be a factor.

LOL I think that I will be getting a buddy to do a full diagnostic on it. I am not sold that the transmission is the issue here. If it was why would I be able to turn it off and then back on 10 seconds later and it drive fine once again.
Because when you do that, you're resetting the TCM/PCM and it's not commanding the sticking solenoid (or the solenoid that is on the fluid path of the problem area) to do anything yet.

LOL I think that I will be getting a buddy to do a full diagnostic on it. I am not sold that the transmission is the issue here. If it was why would I be able to turn it off and then back on 10 seconds later and it drive fine once again. The surge in the idle and the buck on the transmission is happening about 40 mph now at that shift point. I have had numerous people telling me what is NOT wrong with it, but none that can say what is.

I have just switched to the mid grade fuel to see if that may be a factor.

Because when you do that, you're resetting the TCM/PCM and it's not commanding the sticking solenoid (or the solenoid that is on the fluid path of the problem area) to do anything yet.

On top of that, you've got to remember that that 545RFE is an odd duck to begin with. It's a five speed transmission, but it only uses four at any given time. It has two separate 2nd gears, one it uses at light load and light throttle operation for fuel efficiency and smoothness, and the other it uses at heavier load for torque. This is why the thing has six shift solenoids even though you're only going to count 3 shifts going up or down.

Your codes and symptoms scream stuck solenoid, worn clutches, or a valvebody issue (all of which are common on those buggers).

I need to find a different trans shop then, this one keeps telling me that it is not the transmission.
If you go back to the test plan I posted, and look at the set condition for P0770-4C, you'll see that the odds are heavily in favor of this being an internal transmission issue.

Set Condition:
After three consecutive solenoid continuity test failures, or one failure if test is run in response to a gear ratio or pressure switch error. Note: This DTC is strictly an electrical fault and does not apply to any internal transmission failures.

Steps 1-2 point you straight to step 3, the results of which will either lead you to replace the solenoid pack or chase down an electrical issue (which will be messy, but relatively easy if you have a multimeter and long test lead set). The only bad thing is, step 3 ideally needs a Mopar special service tool for the procedure. You could actually skip step 3 and ignore the line about needing a pinout box (some t-pins or other probing tool will be your friend) and perform all of those electrical diag steps instead, which will give you your answer about step 3 the long way.

It's either an electrical failure (short or open in the harness) or a failed solenoid/trs assembly.

I will move forward looking at these two items. I listen to experience.

Question: In the codes, there was one the was popping up that read random multiple misfire and led to me changing all 8 plugs and coil packs, Would you think that this might read into the harness suggestion. Mind you that I have not had this came code after changing out the packs and plugs.

I will move forward looking at these two items. I listen to experience.

Question: In the codes, there was one the was popping up that read random multiple misfire and led to me changing all 8 plugs and coil packs, Would you think that this might read into the harness suggestion. Mind you that I have not had this came code after changing out the packs and plugs.
If it had come back, yes, I'd think it was involved. Thing is, the older Rams like yours came equipped with Champion copper plugs originally, so they'd go through a set of plugs in 30,000 miles or less (while the rest of the industry was running 50,000+ miles on platinum plugs). The coils on those older Rams like to fail in batches as well, it's rare to have just one go at a time, and sometimes they'd even split when they failed.

The fact that the code didn't come back leaves it at a "maybe, but probably not".