Gas Tank Straps

JoeDaddy

Honey, I need a check for $30k to pay the hooker
10 Year Member
Apr 20, 2010
SW Michigan
Alright... I give up... whats the trick? I'm trying to put new gas tank straps on, but they apear about an inch or so too short. I think the tank is in the right place? If I put the jack up any more it raises the car. I put the new straps next to the old ones and they apear to be the same length, although the bends may be slightly different. I even tried putting the bolt in side in first, then the side where the pin slides in, but there is no way. I'm an inch or two short. What am I missing? Time to just light a match???

• Sponsors (?)

Alright... I give up... whats the trick? I'm trying to put new gas tank straps on, but they apear about an inch or so too short. I think the tank is in the right place? If I put the jack up any more it raises the car. I put the new straps next to the old ones and they apear to be the same length, although the bends may be slightly different. I even tried putting the bolt in side in first, then the side where the pin slides in, but there is no way. I'm an inch or two short. What am I missing? Time to just light a match???
Did you also put new foam pads on the tank? sometimes these are a tad thicker and are hard to compress. I just did my tank, etc. last fall and I also had a very hard time getting the straps back on. I ended up buying 2 new grade 8 bolts that were about a 1/2"-3/4" longer than the stock strap bolts, this allowed me to get the bolts started and everything cinched up nice.

Reactions: 1 user