Gauge Ambition

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I think I'm gonna put in a wideband o2. I was thinking the AEM brand and mounting it in a pillar pod. The choices come to mind of other gauges too. Eventually I may get a power adder so maybe I should get a double pillar pod and get a vacuum/boost gauge too. But then I thought about electronic fuel pressure gauge as well for a triple pillar pod.

What are your opinions in comparing single, double or triple pillar pods? I'm I getting stuff I don't really need?

I'm happy with the factory instrument panel for water, oil and volts. I don't want to get anything additional for that.

• Sponsors (?)

Gauages schmages. Only get em them if you need them. I needed a boost gauge and an afr but didnt want gauges all over the place. I ended up going with a touch screen multigage from PLX. It can show data from several different sources using add on modules that can be added when needed. I wanted to keep it somewhat discreet, so heres what I ended up with

IMG_20130402_162546_zps08293dcd.jpg

Its your car so do what you want, but i see sooo many cars with gauges all over the place that just looks tacky

Gauages schmages. Only get em them if you need them. I needed a boost gauge and an afr but didnt want gauges all over the place. I ended up going with a touch screen multigage from PLX. It can show data from several different sources using add on modules that can be added when needed. I wanted to keep it somewhat discreet, so heres what I ended up with

IMG_20130402_162546_zps08293dcd.jpg

Its your car so do what you want, but i see sooo many cars with gauges all over the place that just looks tacky

Wait till you see how many gauges I'm gonna have. I'll be the definition of the word.

John, The wide band IMO is as good of an indicator to the health of your FI system, and how efficient the car runs at various loads as you're gonna get. I do agree w/ Madspeed in that if you can afford one of the multifunction gauges instead, it'll be one gauge that'll serve the purpose of many.

I will disagree with those above. A wideband is ALWAYS a good idea. Even if you're otherwise bone stock, a wideband is a great diagnostic tool to help track down problems if the car is not running right.

Additionally, as you continue to add mods, what better way is there to know that the engine parts that you've added are installed correctly and ensure that there are no vacuum leaks? :shrug:

IMO, anyone who is doing their own wrenching in thee engine bay can benefit from a quality wideband meter.

An example of that I'm talking about for some of these 'old heads' that have been here for a while.

How many times have you seen threads like:

"I just installed X part and now the car is not running right. What could it be?!?"

Reactions: 1 user
I will disagree with those above. A wideband is ALWAYS a good idea. Even if you're otherwise bone stock, a wideband is a great diagnostic tool to help track down problems if the car is not running right.

Additionally, as you continue to add mods, what better way is there to know that the engine parts that you've added are installed correctly and ensure that there are no vacuum leaks? :shrug:

IMO, anyone who is doing their own wrenching in thee engine bay can benefit from a quality wideband meter.
Why are you disagreeing w/ me? I said a wideband ga was the best way to detrmine the health of the FI system.
Butthead.

Shameless plug: I have a brand new PLX DM-6 gauge if you're interested in it. You will just need to by the SM-AFR module from them. I bought it thinking my existing gauge was bad, but I'm just an idiot and had it wired wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Shameless plug: I have a brand new PLX DM-6 gauge if you're interested in it. You will just need to by the SM-AFR module from them. I bought it thinking my existing gauge was bad, but I'm just an idiot and had it wired wrong.

Yo!! ...pm me about this, I'm looking to do something in this area. I can hook multi stuff to the same gauge?? Wanting to keep it clean so I'm probaby gonna add a couple under the radio angled up slightly.

Last edited:
image.jpg

And two more on the corners of the cluster you can't see.
I despise them. But I need them.
I disagree with "you don't need an A/F gauge unless you have boost"
My car has no boost, and I absolutely need one.
The difference being you'll be essentially monitoring something that you can't change anyways.
You're measuring fuel pressure, which right now you can't adjust. Get an adjustable reg and leave it alone, still don't need a gauge.dont run a boost gauge when you aren't using forced induction. Vacuum is of no concern at this point either. And if you've got no control over tuning your vehicle than the AFR is of no concern to you because you've no control over it or any reason for it to be abnormal

Edit: with that said, it's your car. By all means do whatever makes you enjoy the car more

Amazon has the DM6 with the AF module in a combo pack for $199.

Gauge alone is $99

Module alone is $149

If you only have the gauge, it would have to be pretty cheap to be worth my while. Probably less that you're willing to take. But thanks for offering.