Gear Install Parts Needed?

I'm looking towards installing gears this spring/summer, and I want to make sure I have things straight and get your guys opinions.

All the parts are from seanhylandmotorsport.com:

Ring & Pinion (4.10's)
8.8 Ring & Pinion Installation Kit (full kit)
Traction-Lok Rebuild Kit
Ford Friction Modifer
Red Line 75W90 Gear Oil
2 x Speedometer Drive Gear (check the site why I need two)

Now, do I need the full ring & pinion install kit, as well as the Traction-Lok rebuild kit? My car has 52,000 miles on it, and I'm looking for simplicity and ease of installation as me and a buddy might be doing it. Is there anything else I need?

(please don't tell me to search, I have but I'd like specifics :D)

• Sponsors (?)

I'll either go the route above with the FRPP parts, for ease of installation, or I will go with Motive 4.10's and Install kit from mustangtuning.com for $265.08 total including shipping. This option is much cheaper, although probably a lot harder to install myself... but then I could afford to get a shop to do it.

:shrug:

Do youself a favor and DO NOT buy from sean hyland. I can not stress that enough.

Sorry I can't help you on a rebuild BUT if you have never done a gear install before don't do one by yourself. If you are, have a professional that has done it before help you do it.

Use 70-145 weight oil instead (maybe it's 75-140 It's 2am and I can't remember).

Other than that, have a pro install it, or you'll end up replacing it again. UNLESS you are experianced with differentials and have all the right tools :p

Thanks guys, no I don't have any experience with differentials at all, neither does my friend I don't think.

Thanks for the heads up on SeanHyland. I was wondering about this gear package at WMS, could I use that, and a friction modifier and be good to go?

Or how about a local shop in town here, that sells OEM Ford 4.10 gears for $238.48, and this install kit for $96.86. For a total of $335.34 + tax, that's looking to be pretty good. How does that install kit look? It seems to be missing some things, maybe not.

So is 52,000 miles too many to be skimping out on bearings and traction-lok etc? I want to be cheap and not have to pay $100 for an install kit, but then again what if something breaks.... :\

padge said:
I'm looking towards installing gears this spring/summer, and I want to make sure I have things straight and get your guys opinions.

All the parts are from seanhylandmotorsport.com:

Ring & Pinion (4.10's)
8.8 Ring & Pinion Installation Kit (full kit)
Traction-Lok Rebuild Kit
Ford Friction Modifer
Red Line 75W90 Gear Oil
2 x Speedometer Drive Gear (check the site why I need two)

Now, do I need the full ring & pinion install kit, as well as the Traction-Lok rebuild kit? My car has 52,000 miles on it, and I'm looking for simplicity and ease of installation as me and a buddy might be doing it. Is there anything else I need?

(please don't tell me to search, I have but I'd like specifics :D)

Ok i'll be either paying to get my gears done or installing them myself in a few weeks (i'm currently on the fence with the decision). And i can help ya out a little bit.

Ok, 1st off, ditch those "2x Speedo-drive gears". They dont work. You will need to get a speedcal from either Dallasmustang.com or Ford Racing. And they are $99 from either. Or buy a used one from someone. I just got a used one for $55 shipped.

Also for a self install, you will need a Dial indicator with a magnetic base. You will set the magnetic base up on the pumpkin and swing the dial indicator over to the ring from the two moveable arms that connect to the dial indicator. You'll need it to set the ring and pinnion backlash.

I also recommend you do a LOT of readin, as this (while some say is simple), i think this is going to be a little more intense than any of the other mods i've done in my sig.

You wont need the traction-lok rebuild kit unless you have the "one wheel peels" going on (like i do). Basically, if you're T-lok (posi) still works, you dont really need it. But if you want to tighten it up, then go ahead. My posi doesn't work currently, so i NEEDED this.

Other than that, i think you'll be all set. You MIGHT need a "puller" to get some of the pressed bearings out. I dont have one, so im not quite sure how im going to get those off without breaking them lol.

If i think of anythign else i'll chime in. GOODLUCK!!! :nice:

Oh and if it makes a differnece. I orderd Motive 3.73 gears + basic install kit from MustangTuning.com and my T-lok kit from FRPP for $45.

UDTBadkarma said:
Ok i'll be either paying to get my gears done or installing them myself in a few weeks (i'm currently on the fence with the decision). And i can help ya out a little bit.

Ok, 1st off, ditch those "2x Speedo-drive gears". They dont work. You will need to get a speedcal from either Dallasmustang.com or Ford Racing. And they are $99 from either. Or buy a used one from someone. I just got a used one for $55 shipped.

Also for a self install, you will need a Dial indicator with a magnetic base. You will set the magnetic base up on the pumpkin and swing the dial indicator over to the ring from the two moveable arms that connect to the dial indicator. You'll need it to set the ring and pinnion backlash.

I also recommend you do a LOT of readin, as this (while some say is simple), i think this is going to be a little more intense than any of the other mods i've done in my sig.

You wont need the traction-lok rebuild kit unless you have the "one wheel peels" going on (like i do). Basically, if you're T-lok (posi) still works, you dont really need it. But if you want to tighten it up, then go ahead. My posi doesn't work currently, so i NEEDED this.

Other than that, i think you'll be all set. You MIGHT need a "puller" to get some of the pressed bearings out. I dont have one, so im not quite sure how im going to get those off without breaking them lol.

If i think of anythign else i'll chime in. GOODLUCK!!! :nice:

Oh and if it makes a differnece. I orderd Motive 3.73 gears + basic install kit from MustangTuning.com and my T-lok kit from FRPP for $45.

Thanks man, that helps! So I can't get away with a speedo gear? That's an extra $80 or so for the speedcal... and all the ones I find on sites say that they are for 99+ Mustangs... do they all work for the 96-98 cars? I've heard people say that speedo gears work, and some people say they dont :shrug:.

I priced out some gear installs today around town, and one place wanted $860 for parts + labour ($319-$400 for labor), and another place wanted $367.50 for labour. Those are in Canadian dollars... pretty expensive.

UDTBadkarma, you bought motive gears, aren't those harder to install than the FRPP gears?

On another note, my f-in driver's side seatbelt retractor is broke. My key was in the ignition and turned a bit so the air was on, and I was trying to retract my seatbelt and it wasn't working, so it ended up pulled all the way out, and I turned my ignition key and it made a strange grinding noise.... so I need to get that fixed now. Anyone do this before?