• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Gear Installation Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter 94MustangGT5.0
  • Start date Start date Apr 8, 2005

94MustangGT5.0

New Member
Apr 30, 2003
288
0
0
Champaign, Illinois
Apr 8, 2005
#1
  • Apr 8, 2005
  • #1
I remember reading about a problem some people had with breaking an ABS sensor when installing gears on the SN95's, but I think that the thread may have been lost with the crash. Anyways, can anyone elaborate on this? Maybe its not a ABS sensor I'm thinking of but something similar, but I remember a few people mentioning there is no way around breaking this when you do your gear swap. Also, if anyone has not had this problem or found away around it, post up any steps you did to avoid this.
 

hotrodnut

Member
Jul 12, 2004
672
0
17
North Florida
Apr 8, 2005
#2
  • Apr 8, 2005
  • #2
I think it is when replacing axles they are trying to remove the ABS rings from them. It is very difficult to do without breaking them and it seems easier to just get new rings pressed on the new axles.
 

94-302-vert

Active Member
Aug 16, 2004
1,947
2
36
NE CT
Apr 8, 2005
#3
  • Apr 8, 2005
  • #3
It is the ABS sensors. they sieze in there over time. I tried spraying mine with WD40 a couple times before they did my gears and only one of the sensors came out. My buddy had both break on his car.

I would say spray them a couple/few times for a couple weeks before tyring if you can.

Chris
 

94MustangGT5.0

New Member
Apr 30, 2003
288
0
0
Champaign, Illinois
Apr 8, 2005
#4
  • Apr 8, 2005
  • #4
94-302-vert said:
It is the ABS sensors. they sieze in there over time. I tried spraying mine with WD40 a couple times before they did my gears and only one of the sensors came out. My buddy had both break on his car.

I would say spray them a couple/few times for a couple weeks before tyring if you can.

Chris
Click to expand...
Thanks a lot Chris, that's a good idea and I will definitely give it a try. Hopefully they come off. Anyone have any idea what they cost to replace if they do break?
 

94-302-vert

Active Member
Aug 16, 2004
1,947
2
36
NE CT
Apr 8, 2005
#5
  • Apr 8, 2005
  • #5
$70 list, some dealers can get them for $50. BUT the guy that did my gears has been having a heck of a time getting the one for me. It has been 2 weeks too.

Chris
 

hotrodnut

Member
Jul 12, 2004
672
0
17
North Florida
Apr 8, 2005
#6
  • Apr 8, 2005
  • #6
94-302-vert said:
It is the ABS sensors. they sieze in there over time. I tried spraying mine with WD40 a couple times before they did my gears and only one of the sensors came out. My buddy had both break on his car.

I would say spray them a couple/few times for a couple weeks before tyring if you can.

Chris
Click to expand...

Just wondering why you would have to remove the sensors to change the gear? Unless you're taking the whole housing out . . .
 

94-302-vert

Active Member
Aug 16, 2004
1,947
2
36
NE CT
Apr 8, 2005
#7
  • Apr 8, 2005
  • #7
You have to push in the axles to get the c-clips out and remove the center section of the diff. The ABS sensors prevent you from pushing in the axles enough to get teh c-clips out.

Chris
 

hotrodnut

Member
Jul 12, 2004
672
0
17
North Florida
Apr 8, 2005
#8
  • Apr 8, 2005
  • #8
94-302-vert said:
You have to push in the axles to get the c-clips out and remove the center section of the diff. The ABS sensors prevent you from pushing in the axles enough to get teh c-clips out.

Chris
Click to expand...

Oh yea, now I remember . . . ah must be old age, I just done mine less than 6 months ago. I'm going back to my lounger now.
 

94-302-vert

Active Member
Aug 16, 2004
1,947
2
36
NE CT
Apr 8, 2005
#9
  • Apr 8, 2005
  • #9
Don't worry. I paid someone to do mine... :-(

But for $150 in labor I figured it wasn't worth my time at that point.

Chris
 
T

TMC

Founding Member
Jan 17, 1999
1,426
0
36
Chicago
Apr 8, 2005
#10
  • Apr 8, 2005
  • #10
How to avoid breaking the ABS sensors when doing a gear swap...

1. NO NOT REMOVE THE SENSORS...DON'T EVEN TRY TO!

2. Locate an existing hole/slot in the tang ring and enlarge it with whatever method you have (grind, drill, cut, punch whatever) so that the hole is large enough to fit over the sensor body. It's pretty soft material so you shouldn't have a problem with it.

That's it...problem solved.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
210
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
A
P0036 P0056 P0137 P0157 2020 Ford Mustang GT
  • AmkoA
  • Jun 16, 2026
  • 2024+ (S650) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
0
Views
223
2024+ (S650) Mustang -General/Talk Jun 16, 2026
AmkoA
A
Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
882
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
436
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
K
Resolved Need some assistance. Holley Terminator X alongside H/C/I. Very rough/inconsistent idle
  • karhoot
  • Jun 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
139
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 6, 2026
karhoot
K
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?